• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3 big cam turbo conversion

Levigarrett

hey guys im wanting to install a turbo on my 69 5 ton with the big cam engine in it does anyone know where a good oil pressure feed port would be and the best place to do the oil return ????????

cornrichard

I am also interested in installing a turbo on my 69 8.3 liter big cam 250 Cummins. I was thinking about installing a return line t to spit the oil between the oil pan and the turbo intake. This should help lube the turbo and make that cool smoke that makes an over fueled motor look so cool.

sandcobra164

Feed port, just install a tee between the motor and the oil pressure sending unit. For return, I sorta like cornrichard's idea. You'd have to check your oil a little more often but those Big Cam 250 8.3's love a little more lube on the top side of the piston, that would about ensure that truck would last forever. Certainly would rule out the possibility of a dry start. Only difference and only reason I'd change, I'd plumb the other side of the return to the oil fill cap. That way, you ensure those valves, pushrods and rockers receive a little more lube. Those center ones run a little warmer for some reason.

bearboley

Is this post a joke because none of it makes any sence. 8.3 big cam 250?oil return to the intake?split the return to the oil fill? I hope this is a joke nobody can be this ignorant.

sandcobra164

Is this post a joke because none of it makes any sence. 8.3 big cam 250?oil return to the intake?split the return to the oil fill? I hope this is a joke nobody can be this ignorant.
Well somebody had to take the fun out of it. I just played along when I saw it. I think Cornrichard, Sumner and myself understand Cummins motors enough to know the OP is referring to adding a turbo to a small cam 250, he quoted it as an 8.3 which is about 6 liters of displacement shy and the Big Cam Cummins share's the 855 cubic inches but does not have many interchangeable parts with the NHC 250 other than manifolds and such.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It took Cummins 15 years of painstaking development to get the 250 Cummins engine to produce 400 horsepower (Big Cam 400). Somebody should have told them all that needed to be done was slap on a turbocharger.

sandcobra164

NDT, I sent them an e-mail in 1970 concerning that exact same issue. Nevermind I was born in 82. Anyhow, they felt they could omit the turbo and just "up" the fuel. We've seen many examples of that and most know how it turns out. That turbo doohickey pushes more air into the intake and allows it to actually burn that extra fuel without melting metal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks