• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3 injection issue.

Desertshark

So I have learned when my truck get hot or work it a little heard the fuel quits on me... I have an electric pump that pushes awsome pressure to the system... when to hot it seems like the shut of gets stuck. Have reset and still won't start. Was wondering if way to bypass or if there is a shut off internally in the pump.... about to order new pump cause of my frustrations. Any advice?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
when you stop or get ready to start it back up pour a gallon of water on the pump to cool it down. Old IDI international engines did this after you pour the water within a minute or two they would fire off. See how much it would be for a diesel shop to rebuild your pump with a little more power behind it.

74M35A2

Electric pump on an 8.3L is peculiar to begin with. What is the "awesome pressure" of the fuel during a hot no-restart situation as measured after your engine mounted fuel filter and before the injection pump? Diesel fuel gets very warm and almost hot during use since it is recirculated. I would first suspect your electric boost pump to not be high temp rated and is the cause, or the overflow valve in your injection pump is hanging open. People will often Band-Aid problems without finding or resolving them correctly. If the OFV (over-flow-valve) is stuck open, it will starve for fuel, and somebody may thing it is a fuel pump issue and put an electric pump on it. I'd get it back to stock configuration and check injection pump inlet pressures to begin with, especially during a no-start condition. The OFV can be cleaned very easily by pinching closed the return fuel line at the front of the pump for 10-30 seconds at an idle and release it. This is also a good test to see if the OFV is the issue. If the truck will not start, pinch the retun line shut with Vice-Grips, and then try to start the truck. If it starts, the OFV needs to be cleaned or replaced. This is built within the banjo bolt fitting on the injection pump return line. Very easy to get to and do.

Desertshark

I got it returned to stock. Pinched the line and still have nothing. I did notice that the fuel shut off silinoid won't pull itself up . I have to go and manually push it up. Even after that still no start.

74M35A2

OK. Zip tie the shut off lever into the full retracted (up) position and try again. The fuel shut off is weak on even the slightest discharged batteries, even when the engine is still cranking fine.

Have you changed your soft fuel lines from the tank to the filters/pump? They are a known trouble area at their age if never changed.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bottom line, you need to check pressures. If the correct low pressure fuel ain't there, it won't make the correct/needed high pressure.