• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3 performance

Bolkbich

has anybody figured out how to turn up the 8.3 cummins pump ? not the afc adjustment. it doesnt have the plate on top like the non military models.

nevrenufhp

Yep, MW pump. Basically a jamb nut & bolt under the larger allen head plug(3/8"). You may want to start conservative, because those pumps fuel real hard down low when you adjust the fuel screw. If you're feeling frisky, take the bolt all the way out.

Bolkbich

Yep, MW pump. Basically a jamb nut & bolt under the larger allen head plug(3/8"). You may want to start conservative, because those pumps fuel real hard down low when you adjust the fuel screw. If you're feeling frisky, take the bolt all the way out.
Yes they do.I was messing with it last night . I went 5 turns out,it really huffs out the black on the bottom. It got late so i went in. Today im going to turn back the puff adjustment to clean it up some. These little 8.3's are nice little engines. Thanks for the advice

nevrenufhp

There's another adjustment if you cant stop the black smoke, but it's a real pain to get to the screws. Basically the preload on the AFC spring.
It's been a couple years since I did that adjustment in the pic, but if memory serves correctly, you back out the screw for less smoke. You can have it setup & running this way while tuning. That end cap is just a dust cover, but don't leave it permanently off.

Another thing that helps is to hike up the timing by about 4*. Some were set super low(10-13*), so that alone will be a nice bump in power. The mpg will go up a tad too. After the fueling mods, look at setting it to 17-19*.

I didnt get to the gov spring adjustment either.:beer: