• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

80 in an M1009 too much?

Napoleon_Tanerite

My 1009 is about to go on a road trip. With the wind noise and all I can't really hear the engine over 65mph or so to get a read on how I'm doing RPM wise. Am I safe up to 80, or is that beating the horse a bit too much? The TM says 55, but that's for ALL CUCVs. I know the 1009s have some faster gears in them, I am just not sure how fast I can safely go with everything in good repair.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not drive 80 mph in any Blazer. I hope you have new tires(recently made),and wear your seatbelt.

HardCorps79

I've taken the blazer up to 75 or so, but won't do it anymore. I pretty much won't take it over 60 now. Get's too noisy, vibrating and rattling around. Besides, at 55mph I get much better mileage.

stampy

Mine has seen 80 but I tend to cruise around 70-75. I would always check the tires first as doghead said and get them balanced before putting the hammer down.:-D

Napoleon_Tanerite

just to clarify, i don't intend to cruise at 80, but i have noticed that this thing tends to creep faster if i'm not paying attention. my target cruise speed will be 70, but i want to make sure if I creep much faster I'm not exceeding any limits.

91W350

Mine read 85 today, but my gps said 72. Mine seems to cruise along at 70 (gps) pretty easily, ground speed anyway. I found out today that it is not nearly as nice in the mud as my M1008 is. It moves good, but it sure dances around a lot.

Glen

Napoleon_Tanerite

i had a wild ride in the mud the other day in the 1009. I was going down a VERY muddy downhill (and by mud I mean GA red clay, which makes ice seem grippy)... anyway, long story short, the ass end came around and i nosed into a ditch. No big deal, a little 4wd and i was out of there, but it was interesting.

91W350

Mine has close to new tires, Wranglers on it. It must be just a little wider than a standard pickup as it jumps in and out of the ruts all the time. I wound up cross wise in the road a couple of times, good old Kansas black slick. I piled about an inch of it on the left front corner of the hood, but it backed out okay. It goes good, but is tough to keep straight. Spent $5.00 at the car wah blowing out the rockers, quarters and fenders. Left a nasty mess in the wash bay too....

I normally do not run much over 70 in anything anymore, unless I am on I-80 and can go 75! The summons are just not worth the insurance and hassles at work.

Glen

2deuce

My m1009 will do 80 easily but if the road is less than perfect I wouldn't do it. The steering is quick with that short wheelbase. Pavement ruts and wind keep me at 60 to 65, besides over 60 and the mileage suffers alot.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
i had a wild ride in the mud the other day in the 1009. I was going down a VERY muddy downhill (and by mud I mean GA red clay, which makes ice seem grippy)... anyway, long story short, the ass end came around and i nosed into a ditch. No big deal, a little 4wd and i was out of there, but it was interesting.
off topic, i know, noticed your from warner robins, i work on robins afb, live out in danville, didn't know there was anybody this close to me.

Mudstone

i have cruised at 75-80 i think in my truck... i was in the left lane on I95 and not holding up traffic but my spedometer doesn't work. says i was doing 45. Its loud as **** in that truck no matter how fast or slow i'm going. only thing i don't like is the slop in my steering.

91W350

Some of you guys M1009's must need front end work or new tires, mine will go as fast as I want and it doesn't feel unsafe at all. Here is a pic we took on the way back from chow at one of our SS work days.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upcoming-events/33721-okc-ss-workday-chow-run-april-25th-2.html
I had my needle there yesterday, but my ground speed by gps was 72. Mine goe down the road great, just do not need to get any added attention from the red and blue lights.

Napoleon_Tanerite

off topic, i know, noticed your from warner robins, i work on robins afb, live out in danville, didn't know there was anybody this close to me.
i drove through danville the other day on my way to go hunting. that's a helluva work commute! I'm one of the jstars pilots on the red-headed-step-child side of the base

Scarecrow1

I resently heard a saying that would seem to apply here ((( Never Drive Faster Than Your Gardian Angel Can Fly ))) . Your chances are far to slim of recovering control if you have a blowout at that speed aren't in the top ten for sure ..........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks