• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

800,000 BTU heater

Varyag

A guy here in town is selling a 800k BTU heater trailer for 150 dollars. Is it worth getting? I need a shop heater but this seems like a bit much. it is in pretty good shape.

Comes with all the flexible ducting and some spares.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is NOT an 800000btu heater.

It is a 400000btu Hermon Nelson ground heater. They are loud and move alot of air volume. The output air is combustion free and is adjustable from about 100-280 degrees F.

They are meant to be ducted to an aircraft engine, to warm it in cold weather.

They burn alot of fuel(approx 4 gal/hour) and are self driven by a rotary combustion engine(like a Lester Petter or similar).

The price is good, but it's uses are limited.

Last edited:

Varyag

Thanks for the info. 4 gallons an hour is a bit too rich for my blood. They were using it to heat job sites. It might be a bit too much for a 80 x 40 ft shop I am guessing.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It might be a bit too much for a 80 x 40 ft shop I am guessing.
Unless you are in Sibera.roflrofl

We used the Herman Nelsons in Germany to heat the Maint tent and occasionally two GP mediums hooked together for a large dining tent.

They suck fuel but could prob be ran on thinned down Waste Motor Oil or heated veggie.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The output air is not very hot. It moves alot of warm air. They are not designed to heat a room or building. Normal space heaters put out around 500-1000 degree air.

They are meant to move warm air through something, not heat an enclosed space.

Last edited:

Varyag

Looks like they are having issues selling it. Just was contacted by the seller again. My beer drinking buddy is trying to convice me to get it. Then again, he is constantly sending me adds on buying goats as well.:cookoo:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy a goat!:wink: