• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802-a fuel gauge

JimmyLet58

I put a new fuel gage in and it pegs all the way past full. I also just put a new 5.5 wema fuel sending unit in and gauge still reads the same. Not sure what is wrong. I hooked the 2 wires up. Can anyone tell what I got going on. Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
Is this how your Meter is hooked up? You checked? Twice?

1667682795145.png

M5 Fuel Level Indicator​
From​
Wire #​
Wire #​
From​
M6-I​
137H​
I​
I​
137F​
TB6-4​
J7-1​
128B​
S​
G​
100AR​
M6-G​

And the sender? Checked it twice?
1667682853137.png

Attachments

Ray70

Be careful and double check the wiring on the gage. The original gages on the older 802's are different than the newer Faria Beede gages, the "S" and "I" terminals are on opposite sides of the gage, so make sure its wired correctly.
Also, looking at Guy's diagram above. You should have +24V on the "I" terminal, -12V on the "G" terminal and the "S" terminal goes to the sending unit.

JimmyLet58

In my 804 TM is a test procedure that will let you know if the gauge is bad. I didn't look, but yours probably has a test procedure, too.

Are you sure that your float isn't hung up on something and stuck in the "full" position?
I just put a new wema 5.5 in the tank so it should be good. And the fuel gauge is new. So I have to check my wiring to the gauge. I can hardly see the numbers on the wiring to the gauge. Thanks

JimmyLet58

Be careful and double check the wiring on the gage. The original gages on the older 802's are different than the newer Faria Beede gages, the "S" and "I" terminals are on opposite sides of the gage, so make sure its wired correctly.
Also, looking at Guy's diagram above. You should have +24V on the "I" terminal, -12V on the "G" terminal and the "S" terminal goes to the sending unit.
Hey Ray
I che check all my wires on the gauge. The best I can tell the I terminal has 2 wires 137 H20 & 137 F20 the ground has 100AR and the S terminal has wire 128 B
I am showing with the unit running the I terminal showing 27.6 v and the S is 6.8 v
I'm not getting -12v on the G as you stated. Showing 0.1 I think.
Thank for everyone help and information

Ray70

Maybe you are misunderstanding what I meant. The G terminal is eventually connected to the negative of the battery as is the entire chassis of the machine.
G stands for ground... chassis ground, not earth ground.
If you put your meter black lead on "G" and the red lead on "I" you should show +12V if not you have a ground problem at the gages.
You should also have continuity if you measure resistance from "G" to any bare metal chassis point.

JimmyLet58

Maybe you are misunderstanding what I meant. The G terminal is eventually connected to the negative of the battery as is the entire chassis of the machine.
G stands for ground... chassis ground, not earth ground.
If you put your meter black lead on "G" and the red lead on "I" you should show +12V if not you have a ground problem at the gages.
You should also have continuity if you measure resistance from "G" to any bare metal chassis point.
Thanks Ray I will check it out again. I may have it wrong at the new wema fuel gage. I noticed when I took the old float out one wire was mounted on the top of the float unit sending wire and other was ground to one of the screws for ground. I took the two wires from the float sending unit and hooked each wire up. Was I still supposed to ground that wire like was on the old float? Sorry I am not electronically inclined lol.

Ray70

No, no.... with the Wema gage it sounds like you did it correctly. I normally attach the reddish colored wire to the wire that was on the sense wire of the old gage and connect the black wire to the old ground wire, but to be honest the Wema is just a resistor, so the polarity doesn't matter.
The old gage has 1 wire and the body is grounded, the new WEMA sensor has 2 wires so the body is not grounded.

Ray70

Oh, and one other thing to check... once you verify the gage wiring and ground are good, if you disconnect the "S" wire from the gage and measure resistance from the S wire to ground you should get somewhere between 30 and 240 ohms, depending on how much fuel is in the tank.
If everything checks out but the gage is still pinned, look closely at the gage. I know at least the Faria Beede gages can get stuck if they peg all the way up or down. The needle will usually hit the side of the housing and get stuck.
To fix it, loosen the nuts on the long mounting studs and tap the gage sideways against your palm, that should jar the needle loose.
tighten the nuts, reinstall and try it again.

I put a new fuel gage in and it pegs all the way past full. I also just put a new 5.5 wema fuel sending unit in and gauge still reads the same. Not sure what is wrong. I hooked the 2 wires up. Can anyone tell what I got going on. Thanks
I just went threw this
Wasted a lot of money at the end of it all my gauge was not correct
I came across a new gauge from zed254

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zed254

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks