• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802a, Hertz dropping under load.

csheath

Plus you cannot trust the analog gauges on these units. Unless you verify what they are reading with a quality digital meter you don't know what it's doing.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok dont laugh at me...

So i never really paid much attention to the the lines and numbers on the frequency gauge other than just having the needle at 60. So when i ran my unit under that 6800 load and it dropped 4-5 hertz(was 4-5 lines), it was actually only 2-2.5 hertz.

So i guess my unit is running really well lol.
Oh man, Yea, I think most of us have been there and done that. :)

jimbo913

While on this subject, I would also like to mention that I now use a digital kill-a-watt meter to verify / adjust voltage and Hz at the power unit as well as monitor from inside my house during outages. I do not rely entirely on the control panel mechanical gauges when making adjustments and I do not have to constantly run outside to check mechanical gauges or rely on readings I may have perceived incorrectly.
There are recent threads on SS talking about auto start and phone Apps to monitor all this remotely but I am a middle aged / old dinosaur who has been living out in the boonies without internet for over 7 years, so technology has left me behind. I will let the smart guys figure it all out and buy the plug-n-play "kit" from them later on once the bugs are worked out:D

biz

While on this subject, I would also like to mention that I now use a digital kill-a-watt meter to verify / adjust voltage and Hz at the power unit as well as monitor from inside my house during outages. I do not rely entirely on the control panel mechanical gauges when making adjustments and I do not have to constantly run outside to check mechanical gauges or rely on readings I may have perceived incorrectly.
There are recent threads on SS talking about auto start and phone Apps to monitor all this remotely but I am a middle aged / old dinosaur who has been living out in the boonies without internet for over 7 years, so technology has left me behind. I will let the smart guys figure it all out and buy the plug-n-play "kit" from them later on once the bugs are worked out:D
that was one of the first things i did when i got my unit. 60 hz on the gauge was dead on. voltages were spot on also.

Load testing was the 2nd thing.

the most recent thing i did the other day was drain the fuel while the unit was running to test if the aux pump would come on and it did. that was a relief. i plan on hooking it up to a large oil tank.

Triple Jim

Auto start isn't necessary in all installations. I don't mind manually starting my 003A. It lets me look over things, listen for unusual sounds or leaks, and generally stay aware of its condition. I also like to wait about five minutes after a power failure to start the generator to let the refrigerator and air conditioner compressor pressures bleed down so they don't all have to repeatedly try and fail to start against their head pressure. Same when returning to commercial power.

biz

Auto start isn't necessary in all installations. I don't mind manually starting my 003A. It lets me look over things, listen for unusual sounds or leaks, and generally stay aware of its condition. I also like to wait about five minutes after a power failure to start the generator to let the refrigerator and air conditioner compressor pressures bleed down so they don't all have to repeatedly try and fail to start against their head pressure. Same when returning to commercial power.
wrong thread?

jimbo913

I wan't promoting auto start, that just happened to be part of the technology which allows for remote monitoring. I'm sure there are much more simple device out there that one could connect simply to monitor volts, Hz, etc. remotely via phone instrad of a kill-a-watt meter. I have one meter for outside and one for inside and may get a second for inside (upstairs/downstairs).

biz

I wan't promoting auto start, that just happened to be part of the technology which allows for remote monitoring. I'm sure there are much more simple device out there that one could connect simply to monitor volts, Hz, etc. remotely via phone instrad of a kill-a-watt meter. I have one meter for outside and one for inside and may get a second for inside (upstairs/downstairs).

ive got an 8 month old baby. when shes old enough to not need the high def baby monitor, im going to mount it facing the control panel on my 802a. its wi-fi and can look at in on my iphone.