• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802a Load Test, and Operating Temp

Toolslinger

I flat out know this info is in here... For the life of me I can't find the right search string to enter to bring up the results... Just think how many posts are simply titled MEP-802a...

Ok, so after the highly irritating process of taking things apart to replace the fuel drain well nut, it seems the fuel system is now tight. I did the return lines as well since I was already there, and saw some abrasion on the jacket.

I've run it a couple times today with a 5000w resistive load. During those runs I found the cap of the coolant bottle was leaking a little. So, after investigation I found it wasn't the right cap. Close, but not right. So I ran out to get the Dorman cap that fits. Put that on, and ran it again. Still seeping, so shut it down. Once cool, I replaced the ultra thin rubber gasket in there with a cork one. I also replaced one of the zip ties holding the bottle which was secretly broken behind the bottle... Started again. The cork seems to have worked on the bottle. It's out there running along. Sound ok, but I'm heading back out to verify it isn't dripping again.

Now, the temp gauge is reading around 190. My IR thermometer agrees with those number on the block from the top, down to the bottom. So the gauge is working. Guessing that's fine, but something is nagging at me. I'm sure that number is in the TM. I will dig through that later today. (I really need to print them. Digital is nice, but I'd really like paper by the unit.) Does that number seem right with what folks normally see? We're in the 80's today, and the machine is sitting in the sun.

Load test... 5k is nice, and it throws some smoke, but nothing serious. Once it gets hot, smoke is gone pretty much. I've read posts indicating load testing to 110% is the gold standard. So, 110% of what number? Am I shooting for 110% of the 26amp 240v rating? (I'm running 120/240, with a 240v heater as my 5k load. ) That's 6864 watts. I can come up with another 1800 watts of resistive load I'm sure, I just want to make sure I'm looking for the right target.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
180* is right... take 190 with a grain of salt. Its probably performing properly. If you notice any issues though with temp creep, suspect the thermostat may need to be replaced.

~6250 should be 100% (26AX240VX1.0PF). It it produces 5KW reliable everthing is fine. If it holds 6300W, everthing is still fine. Up and above that, do test if you can, but don't ask it to hold forever. The machine will eventually shed any overload condition.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks