• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802a overload

Trashistreasure

Hi all to start with this site is an irreplaceable wealth of knowledge though I am a new member/poster many Google searches have led me to previous threads leading to fixes with problems with various machines.

now to the point I’m involved with and MEP802 The problem is 2 to 3 hours into a normal run shift The machine stopped putting power out but Bogged down and is reading overloaded on the load meter even without main contactor engaged to AC output terminals. The machine will start engine runs fine field does not energize until master switch is rotated to flash the field at this point main contacter is not engaged to ac output terminals engine bogs down load meter pegs to overload reading. The machine will start engine runs fine field does not energize until master switch is turned to flash the field at this point main contact her is not engaged to ac output terminals engine bogs down load meter pegs to overload reading. I have tried setting voltage selector knob to different settings starting and re-trying with the same results. I did see some sparks coming out of the generator and I’m assuming something has shorted out and it’s pretty much a write off but it’s always nice to have more knowledgeable people confirm my uneducated thoughts. My mentality is I know nothing until someone who does know something has taught me. I try to do my research before tearing into shit.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Certainly sounds like a short. Where did you see the sparks coming from?

Have you taken the top covers off and inspected the wiring?

Trashistreasure

Yes I have it inspected all the wiring I no signs of shorts in the control cabinet. The sparks were coming out of the end of the generator head I wasn’t able to get the shield off the end of the generator head, to investigate further, without dismantling other stuff. The machine has already been written off as a loss and replaced but I always try to find a sliver of hope of fixing everything for nothing.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll also agree, sounds like a shorted gen head.
You should NEVER see sparks from the generator assembly. Very unlikely you'll be able to fix it if it's saying overload, and I really don't want to get your hopes up.
There is the VERY slight possibility it's a single wire that is shorting out, and MIGHT be able to be repaired, but that's still VERY SLIGHT. Don't get your hopes up.

Scoobyshep

Yes I have it inspected all the wiring I no signs of shorts in the control cabinet. The sparks were coming out of the end of the generator head I wasn’t able to get the shield off the end of the generator head, to investigate further, without dismantling other stuff. The machine has already been written off as a loss and replaced but I always try to find a sliver of hope of fixing everything for nothing.
You need to get to where the wiring leaves the head, you meed to use a megaohm meter to see whats leaking. Theres a very specific process to checking a head for a bad winding.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ray70

Let us know what you find. If you have a bad gen head, I'm not far from you in West Greenwich and I've got a spare gen head for an 802.

Guyfang

Staff member
Lets start with reading the book, and finding out what you have to test, and how to get at it. Its not hard, get the -24 TM and read it. The wires run out from the main gen and loop through some CT's and hook up to the S8. Those are the winding's. Test them first. Then check the rotor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks