• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802a plus Inova remote start.

Binderman

Hello all!! I have a pair of 802a's that we are going to use as emergency backup generators for our school building and storm shelter. They will mainly power emergency exit lights and power vents for our storm shelter. I plan to add the Inova remote start kits to both, but I am needing some assistance picking a transfer switch that has the internals needed to start the generator should the power go out.

Will this small 100 amp non entrance Generac ATS transfer switch have the needed stuff to signal the generator to start?

Thanks for the help!!

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all!! I have a pair of 802a's that we are going to use as emergency backup generators for our school building and storm shelter. They will mainly power emergency exit lights and power vents for our storm shelter. I plan to add the Inova remote start kits to both, but I am needing some assistance picking a transfer switch that has the internals needed to start the generator should the power go out.

Will this small 100 amp non entrance Generac ATS transfer switch have the needed stuff to signal the generator to start?

Thanks for the help!!
It’s got potential, but please allow me to ask if the school is 3-phase, and if it is, does that affect the lights and exhaust fans you plan to power?

Please make sure the generators are placed far enough away that exhaust fumes won’t be sucked into the shelter by the fans.

Evvy-

Binderman

It’s got potential, but please allow me to ask if the school is 3-phase, and if it is, does that affect the lights and exhaust fans you plan to power?

Please make sure the generators are placed far enough away that exhaust fumes won’t be sucked into the shelter by the fans.

Evvy-
Good catch!! One transfer switch will need to be 3-phase and the other for the storm shelter is just single phase. Sorry I didn't add that info above!!

And yes the ventilation system is on the opposite end of the storm shelter so no concern there.

Many thanks!!

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Evvy-
Your next challenge will be to isolate the emergency lighting so that it’s on just one of the phases so that the MEP-802 can be connected to it. You’re right that you’ll want to disconnect all three phases for saftey, but since you’ve got to isolate the lights you may be able to disconnect just them from the load center and then connect them to the generator.

This is sophisticated stuff that you’re undertaking and you’ll want a licensed electrical contractor engaged, if not an engineer, if for nothing else, you don’t want unlicensed fingerprints on it should a child, teacher or other somehow get hurt.

Binderman

Your next challenge will be to isolate the emergency lighting so that it’s on just one of the phases so that the MEP-802 can be connected to it. You’re right that you’ll want to disconnect all three phases for saftey, but since you’ve got to isolate the lights you may be able to disconnect just them from the load center and then connect them to the generator.

This is sophisticated stuff that you’re undertaking and you’ll want a licensed electrical contractor engaged, if not an engineer, if for nothing else, you don’t want unlicensed fingerprints on it should a child, teacher or other somehow get hurt.
Its all being done to Engineers specs and by a licensed electrician. We are just supplying the generator and switch gear.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
storm shelter. They will mainly power emergency exit lights and power vents for our storm shelter.
@Binderman , since you haven’t responded to our pm (personal message)

It is assumed that by “storm shelter” you mean a Tornado Shelter?

These type of shelters raise several red flags 🚩 and generator use should be done manually with a manual transfer switch.

The generator has to run, operate and power switched to Generator before any person is to seek shelter, because of your ventilation system and lighting.

A automatic transfer system, especially with a Diesel Generator has always a delay between utility power out and Genset power available.
Since you have people in this shelter they would be exposed to no ventilation and no lights unless there is a UPS system installed.

Only a manual start of a very well maintained generator is a guarantee that everything is working as intended.

We usually require a secondary generator to be installed for a emergency shelter with our auto start systems and each generator has to have two auto start boards installed in parallel to guarantee uninterrupted operation during emergencies
This is a mission critical operation
Sincerely

Peter

Binderman

@Binderman , since you haven’t responded to our pm (personal message)

It is assumed that by “storm shelter” you mean a Tornado Shelter?

These type of shelters raise several red flags 🚩 and generator use should be done manually with a manual transfer switch.

The generator has to run, operate and power switched to Generator before any person is to seek shelter, because of your ventilation system and lighting.

A automatic transfer system, especially with a Diesel Generator has always a delay between utility power out and Genset power available.
Since you have people in this shelter they would be exposed to no ventilation and no lights unless there is a UPS system installed.

Only a manual start of a very well maintained generator is a guarantee that everything is working as intended.

We usually require a secondary generator to be installed for a emergency shelter with our auto start systems and each generator has to have two auto start boards installed in parallel to guarantee uninterrupted operation during emergencies
This is a mission critical operation
Sincerely

Peter

Sorry for the slow reply. I only get to dip in to my office for short periods as I am Chief Cook and Bottle Washer around our small school. Your statement above was going to be my next question with your two systems. If we manually start the genny before the lock-in, what needs to happen? I feel strongly that starting the genny before the weather arrives would be better, but this is how the engineer drew up the plans. We can do what we want but it needs to function both ways I feel for piece of mind!!!

Thanks for the help!!

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Binderman, thank you for your reply.
I would kindly ask you to contact me directly as indicated in my personal message I send you earlier.
You are asking this forum about specific questions which involve our product.
This forum's main purpose is to answer technical questions and is not a combined sales and support web site.
Furthermore, the specific questions here are beyond the scope of repairing a defective MEP Generator.
The forum rules limit it's members to where on how we can sell our products.
So, please respond to my message. Your inbox is at the top right corner between the Bell and your user name with icon.
Thanks
Sincerely

Peter

Last edited:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter