• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

802a

jzuilkowski

Hi folks.

So last year I picked up an mep-802a at auction, had 6 hours on it. All of the dates say 2010, and it has the fuse mod already on it. Looking inside, it's clean, very clean. So I believe the hours, it hasn't been rebuilt.

When I first started it last year, I noticed a lot of blowby. It would pop the dipstick out. I figured it was stuck rings, and would work itself out.

So I put new Amsoil oil in it of the correct grade, all new filters. Checked the overflow and the coolant looked correct.

Then I ran it hooked to a mobile home I was remodelling. Ran and provided power for maybe 15 minutes, then stalled. Hmmm. Went back outside, fired it up, ran for about 5 mintes, blew white smoke, then died. I was puzzled. Checked again, everything looked great. Let it cool down for about an hour and popped the radiator cap. ****. Empty. I smoked the brand new engine.

So I bought another to get through the job, and am now in the process of working on this unit. I pulled the engine and have it on a stand. After the smoking, it would turn over and blow diesel smoke, but not catch. I got it to catch one or twice with ether, but would only run for about 20 seconds. It never came up to rpm, and ran rough.

So I pulled the head, and a small, maybe milimeter sized part of the edge of one of the pistons was stuck to the valve face. everything else looked ok. I cleaned off the head and it looks very good.

The cylinders still have the cross hatch, but do have some vertical streaks. I plan on pulling the pistons tomorrow, inspecting the bearings, and maybe using some dye to check for cracks.

Other than honing and installing new pistons and rings, is there anything else I should check while I am in there?

I feel like amsoil may have saved this engine.

Thanks
-Jon

jzuilkowski

So I have some photos after pulling the pistons.

This is the worst one. It's from the rear cylinder. This is the one that had the missing chunk stuck to the valve -

Rear piston 1.JPG

Rear piston 2.JPG

rear piston 3.JPG

rear piston 4.JPG

The cylinder on first inspection looks ugly, but no deep gashes. Other than the bits of piston stuck to the sides, it looks ok to me. I'm hoping to be able to just hone this out -

Rear cylinder 1.JPGRear cylinder 2.JPG

The front cylinder is entirely another matter. The cylinder and piston look perfect to me and I think the piston can get new rings and be used again. The rings weren't even stuck -

front piston 1.JPG

front piston 2.JPG

front piston 3.JPG

And here is the front cylinder. It's quite clean -

front cylinder 1.JPG

So this is what I have to work with.

Would you take a chance on reusing the front piston? Do you think honing (and replacing piston and both sets of rings) and looking for cracks with dye is sufficient? Like I said, this is a new engine save for my screw up. The inside is spotless.

I also have a new-in-the-box head for this motor that I might use for the heck of it.

I'd like to hear opinions on this, particularly from @Guyfang, @rustystud, @pclausen

Thanks

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
So I have some photos after pulling the pistons.

This is the worst one. It's from the rear cylinder. This is the one that had the missing chunk stuck to the valve -

View attachment 869684

View attachment 869685

View attachment 869686

View attachment 869687

The cylinder on first inspection looks ugly, but no deep gashes. Other than the bits of piston stuck to the sides, it looks ok to me. I'm hoping to be able to just hone this out -

View attachment 869688View attachment 869689

The front cylinder is entirely another matter. The cylinder and piston look perfect to me and I think the piston can get new rings and be used again. The rings weren't even stuck -

View attachment 869690

View attachment 869691

View attachment 869692

And here is the front cylinder. It's quite clean -

View attachment 869693

So this is what I have to work with.

Would you take a chance on reusing the front piston? Do you think honing (and replacing piston and both sets of rings) and looking for cracks with dye is sufficient? Like I said, this is a new engine save for my screw up. The inside is spotless.

I also have a new-in-the-box head for this motor that I might use for the heck of it.

I'd like to hear opinions on this, particularly from @Guyfang, @rustystud, @pclausen

Thanks
I would, as long as its all in spec. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Ray70

Sounds like you are already aware of the same concerns I would have. Egg shaped bore, bent valve ( luckily you have a spare head )
I think you will be ok as far as the bores, but I'm hesitant on that piston.
If it was mine I would replace it. You should be able to get one on line fairly cheap, try Mayi Diesel.
If not I have a few standard bore pistons in my stash if you need one.

jzuilkowski

Thanks guys, it lives again. and sounds great.

Odd thing, I ran it for an hour at 75% capacity. I warmed it up, and as soon as I switched on the load, it began smoking. I couldn't discern a color. Not white or blue, but not carbon black either. I figured it was assembly oil burning off, but it was still there after an hour.

Other than that it's great.

Ray70

If you run it hard a few more times and the smoke still doesn't clear up there could be an issue with the metering pump timing or cylinder balancing.
But put a few hours on it to wear in your new rings and burn out anything left in the muffler, then reassess the smoke situation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks