• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803 Bogs Down and dies at 85% Load

justacitizen

i just realized that you said the stop solenoid isn't connected? correct? if so then the LOP shutdown shouldn't have any affect on anything. unless it shuts off the primary fuel pump or throws a breaker that does the same.

Last edited:

USAMilRet

No it does not. Tho independent systems. The solenoid for the fuel lever stop/run is what is used to shut down the engine by closing the fuel flow metering valve in the metering pump. It overrides the governor. But once the engine is running, the governor takes full control and the solenoid just sits there waiting for the de-engerzing of the solenoid. Otherwise than that, the solenoid does nothing.

The LOP is a pressure switch that once a critical low pressure is reached, it triggers the entire DC system and requires a reset by using the crank switch.

justacitizen

No it does not. Tho independent systems. The solenoid for the fuel lever stop/run is what is used to shut down the engine by closing the fuel flow metering valve in the metering pump. It overrides the governor. But once the engine is running, the governor takes full control and the solenoid just sits there waiting for the de-engerzing of the solenoid. Otherwise than that, the solenoid does nothing.

The LOP is a pressure switch that once a critical low pressure is reached, it triggers the entire DC system and requires a reset by using the crank switch.
so the LOP safety does kill the engine by turning off the primary fuel pump as well as the stop solenoid? have you tried running in battle short?
s

m32825

Where and how are you measuring your fuel pressure? Seems like you could do a dead head test that looks great but still have an issue that manifests in a certain window of operation.

-- Carl

USAMilRet

Where and how are you measuring your fuel pressure? Seems like you could do a dead head test that looks great but still have an issue that manifests in a certain window of operation.

-- Carl
Between the fuel pump and the fuel filter. I tapped into the fittings just after the electric fuel pump

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
With the simple paper test for vacuum over the oil fill shows what? blowing or vacuum?

OK, you have break-in oil in the unit. You have monitored the oil level at all times? is it using oil?

What does the exhaust smell like? say at 60% power, say at your 80-81% problems, what does the exhaust smell like?

You said he honed the cylinders. Maybe the cross hatching is not present, and ring pressures are glazing the cylinders. The first video looks like your unit is running on oil. As in its running on diesel fuel, and at the 80-81%, the system oil is blowing past the rings and firing in the cylinders.

Earlier you stated you had to add more oil.

Cylinder compression could be a issue. Hydraulic lock? the bleed down for proper installation for valves and lifters. Maybe a valve is bent, valve lash is out, but, you never said if you have vacuum or blowing from main crankcase.

m32825

Between the fuel pump and the fuel filter. I tapped into the fittings just after the electric fuel pump
The pressure that you want to know is further along, like where the last injector pulls off the fuel rail. If you've still got pressure there when it starts to die then it's not fuel pump related. With an undamped gauge you'll see a range of pressures as the injection pump draws on the supply. As long as the range is not going to zero you're good. If your gauge is damped you'll see an average, which might not show you that the injection pump is being starved.

-- Carl

USAMilRet

The pressure that you want to know is further along, like where the last injector pulls off the fuel rail. If you've still got pressure there when it starts to die then it's not fuel pump related. With an undamped gauge you'll see a range of pressures as the injection pump draws on the supply. As long as the range is not going to zero you're good. If your gauge is damped you'll see an average, which might not show you that the injection pump is being starved.3

-- Carl
It was for a quick read and not meant diagnostically to eliminate any part of the fuel system after the gauge.

USAMilRet

Howdy,
With the simple paper test for vacuum over the oil fill shows what? blowing or vacuum?

OK, you have break-in oil in the unit. You have monitored the oil level at all times? is it using oil?

What does the exhaust smell like? say at 60% power, say at your 80-81% problems, what does the exhaust smell like?

You said he honed the cylinders. Maybe the cross hatching is not present, and ring pressures are glazing the cylinders. The first video looks like your unit is running on oil. As in its running on diesel fuel, and at the 80-81%, the system oil is blowing past the rings and firing in the cylinders.

Earlier you stated you had to add more oil.

Cylinder compression could be a issue. Hydraulic lock? the bleed down for proper installation for valves and lifters. Maybe a valve is bent, valve lash is out, but, you never said if you have vacuum or blowing from main crankcase.
There is no measurable pressure or vacuum in the crankcase.

It is not using oil. I do however have very minor oil seepage from the shims in 3 of the metering pumps.

When I first LOADED it down is was quite smoky and smelled of sulphur and other things I can not identify. Obviously when it's black, it smells like diesel.

There is no question that the rings are better seated today. When I first LOADED it, lots of smoke then it cleared then returned when I loaded it further.

I do not know what is happening in the cylinders except to guess normal operation....but obviously not.

The oil addition was the previous oil and the addition was caused by the leaking oil seal.

justacitizen

if the cyl were glazed and loosing compression the lost compression would blow by the unseated rings into the crankcase causing positive cranckase pressure. you did the paper test and state there is no positive pressure so the rings are seated and working as they should. "but the engine is still starving for air i think because of the black smoke" or has low compression for some other reason. or the injection timing is off or the exhaust or intake is restricted . correct me if i am wrong please, the injectors and pumps were checked by a professional fuel injection shop with the proper equipment to do so? if they were then you can rule that out. and all is left is compression and air. the internal parts that were replaced were checked and are the proper components for this application? have you checked the valve lash? and inspected the push rods?

USAMilRet

Well, there was no work today on the set. Rained most of the day so I worked on putting the finishing touches on my load bank. The bank will draw 60 amps per leg in 240VAC single phase. Right now it is enough to put a 10 kw load on it. I will add another leg for 15 kw
total.

Got my break in oil today as well as my spare air filters and regular oil. Got the Shell zRotella 10W-40 but am looking into the Valvoline mentioned above. BTW, this break in oil is 15W-40. Got the spare fuel filter for the filter right at the fuel rail.

Well so far no comments on the use of the 55gal drums for diesel and what to do with the remaining tiny bit of hydraulic fluid. Will this stuff even burn?

Guyfang

Staff member
Of course it will burn. As long as it's not too thick.

Many folks use 55 gal drums as a fuel source. There are numerous threads on this subject. For many years I used two 600 gallon pods. The problem with that is fuel rotation. There are many pros and cons. If you have other equipment that uses diesel, then rotation should be no problem.