• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803 Diagnostic

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Curious as to the Diagnostic port located on upper left hand side of panel. Is there a reader and what will it provide. Or is it just cost prohibitive. I know what curiosity did to the cat, so I thought I would ask here first.
As Always Thanks.
Bob. 12-6panel2.jpg

jamawieb

From my understanding, the scanner for the port is so expensive the military only has a few. I've never heard of anyone even seeing or using one. Guy may have seen one before; hopefully he will chime in.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've not seen a scanner personally. I've only seen them referenced in the TM.

The pins on the port are identified on the control schematic. Even without a scanner the diagnostic port is a great place to do troubleshooting with a VOM or test light.

Guyfang

Staff member
Rather then repeate urban legend, I will ask someone I know. There are many stories, and 90% are BS. Once, just before I got out, when we had nothing better to do, we got the male plug off something in DRMO. Then two multi position switches and volt meters. Spent a few days working it up, and then put it into an old HAWK ECU box. Looked ugly as sin. It worked, and the young kids used it the 15 and 30 KW that we had just started to get in 32 AADCOM. Even then, the word was out that the test equipment would not be procured. Give me a few days to ask someone.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course I didn't check the tm, will do! So you can get readings from them!!
I've not seen a scanner personally. I've only seen them referenced in the TM.

The pins on the port are identified on the control schematic. Even without a scanner the diagnostic port is a great place to do troubleshooting with a VOM or test light.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess it would be a mystery!! Thanks for the heads up
Rather then repeate urban legend, I will ask someone I know. There are many stories, and 90% are BS. Once, just before I got out, when we had nothing better to do, we got the male plug off something in DRMO. Then two multi position switches and volt meters. Spent a few days working it up, and then put it into an old HAWK ECU box. Looked ugly as sin. It worked, and the young kids used it the 15 and 30 KW that we had just started to get in 32 AADCOM. Even then, the word was out that the test equipment would not be procured. Give me a few days to ask someone.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. they are marked in triangles on the wiring diagram. Download the one I worked on. Its much easier to read.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, I reached out to a factory Fermont guy... as far as he is aware, the military was never issued a scan tool for the diagnostic port. He just repeated that there 'are certain voltages and such that you are supposed to be able to read at the connector that aid in troubleshooting'.

Bmxenbrett

Its a diag port but not in a way that a OBD2 diag port is. Theres no computer on the generator..its all relay logic. So its more for measureing voltages and such.

Guyfang

Staff member
This is the long and short of the reason I got from my buddy. To be truthful, the STE-ICE never was something that worked well, all the time. Most soldiers were to lazy to read the manuals for the STE-ICE, so the box was put in a corner and only looked at during inventory. I used it once, when the Motor mechanics could not figure out what was wrong with a M813 drop-side truck we had dead lined for about 6 months, for battery charging problems. It was cumbersome, the manuals were not written well and were very complicated. It DID help me with finding the problem. But I would have found it anyway. If you change the components with KNOWN good components, and nothing happens, it can only be the wire harness. A wire inside a canon plug was pushed back enough to pass voltage, and NOT amperage. I fooled with the STE-ICE for a compleat day before I felt comfortable with it. Then a half day to "kinda" find out the problem, but not WHERE the problem was. So it all came down to looking and checking. Another half day's work. The idea was good. But the tech base was not up to the job. As far as I know, no one ever wrote even a page of troubleshooting for the Diagnostic procedures.

J3 Diagnostic Connector. This was the attempt for PM MEP at the time to do their part to be in the groove with something we all called STE-ICE, later STE-ICE PM. In any case this was the purpose. Well, making a long story short, it all fell through. Eventually so did STE-ICE.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see that. I do appreciate that connector. It makes quick work of narrowing down the location of a problem if you use it correctly.

Guyfang

Staff member
Back in the late 70's and on, the STE-ICE was supposed to be the "One device, checks everything" tool. As we never had the plugs untill 1990's on the gen sets, I never had to fool with it, other then that one time in 1985? Most folks do not have the slightest idea what it is, and there is almost nothing in the TM's about it. That's a shame. Like you said, It makes quick work of narrowing down the location of a problem if you use it correctly.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for all the intel!! Next time I fire the 803 up I'll run some diagnostic checks to see what it's like!!
Back in the late 70's and on, the STE-ICE was supposed to be the "One device, checks everything" tool. As we never had the plugs untill 1990's on the gen sets, I never had to fool with it, other then that one time in 1985? Most folks do not have the slightest idea what it is, and there is almost nothing in the TM's about it. That's a shame. Like you said, It makes quick work of narrowing down the location of a problem if you use it correctly.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a great idea. Its good to be familiar with using that port. I highly recommend everyone poke around in the test points when exercising their machines.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks