• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803 Fuel Gauge

Triton

This seems obvious to me but I may be wrong. My 803 fuel gauge shows full all the time with power and when the unit is off. It does move at all anytime. To me that seems like a bad gauge. What do you think?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Run your unit with a load, and siphon fuel out to see if it moves first.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gauge is a balanced coil gauge. It will stay where it is when power is removed.

If it doesn't move when the fuel level changes with it running - then you have a problem.

eatont9999

Mine does the same thing. Power or not. The tank is not full. I swapped in a known working gauge from another unit and it pegged the opposite direction past empty even though there is about 1/3 tank of fuel in it. Triton, does that accurately describe the issue you are having?

Triton

My needle never moves off of full, power or not, I have kept the tank full so I'm going to drain some out today. I just did the well nut and cleaned the tank so I know the float is't stuck.

csheath

Check your ground on your sending unit.
This and also on the gauge. On mine I discovered the ground was daisy chained from one gauge to the next. A loose or dirty ground at one gauge strap could cause multiple gauge malfunctions.

Care also has to be taken not to over tighten the nut on the power post. Doing so can cause it to ground internally. Mine also had this problem and I was able to turn the base nut counter clockwise just a fraction to cure it.

Last edited:

Triton

Drained some fuel out today and the gauge still didn't move, checked the ground and it seems good. Took all the wires off the gauge and it still pegged on full, can I disassemble the gauge to see if it is stuck or is it sealed?

Guyfang

Staff member
What about opening the -24 manual and looking at the test procedures?

Fuel Level IndicatorInspection . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Page 2-67Installation...... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-68Removal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .6-67Testing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-67
And here is for the sender.

Fuel Level SenderInspection . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-104Installation . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-104Removal . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-104Testing . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2-104

dav5

My gauge was giving erratic readings. I removed the sender cleaned all the connections reinstalled it and it pegged below empty. A new sending unit fixed the problem.

Triton

I went through the test procedures and it looks like my gauge is bad. I was thinking of the Stewart Warner gauge because of the 2 years warranty, Does anybody here on SS sell the original Beede gauge?

TheAlfredo

I was able to buy one last week for $15 (NOS). I hope it works, but he seller would refund if it doesn't.

If it doesn't work I'll buy the Stewart Warner "Heavy Duty Plus". Looks identical except the gas picture is green. You will have to buy their 24 to 12 volt converter that goes on the back

Triton

So where do you find an NOS gauge for that price? I search for stuff on the net and can't find much unless it's a military supplier and the are ridiculously priced! I never see anything on fleabay except whole units

dav5

So where do you find an NOS gauge for that price? I search for stuff on the net and can't find much unless it's a military supplier and the are ridiculously priced! I never see anything on fleabay except whole units
The best way to find parts on Ebay is to follow Guyfang's advice and search using the NSN. They are often on the site but not listed by the generator name.

Last edited:

eatont9999

The best way to find parts on Ebay is to follow Guyfang's advice and search using the NSN. They are often on the site but not listed by the generator name.
Part of the reason for that is when guys like me buy a triwall of misc parts, we don't always know what each is specifically for. Usually we only have the NSN number and a vague description of what it is, like "fuel gauge." I have a ton of military vehicle parts that go to vehicles I have never seen listed for civilian sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks