• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803 or 802 that is the question

DaAntman

Well I know these pop up on occasion but trying to figure out what size gender I need for my house I have a 200 amp service A 3ton ac unit a hard start kit would be installed but running would be only 13.6 amps or my furnace in the winter time. i have a tankless (on demand) hot water heater A fridge and chest freezer and a corn/ pellet stove. The only other big draw would by my 220 electric dryer but if need be I can do that elsewhere. Only other things ide have to keep powered is a few radios (for work) and t internet and charge phones ( no landline). We lose power two times a year or so and no more for a day at a time. Thoughts and imput would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to get to big or to small of a unit. Most of the time we lose power at night out here. I plan on doing the ATS kit for it so my mrs or when we’re gone I’m don’t have to worry about having her mess with electricity while I’m at work or on the road.

oh I can’t forget ide let my neghibor use a outlet for the beer cooler and the tv or a lamp ya know to keep them happy.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A MEP802 will run my place no problem. Yea, I have to do some load management but assuming I'm not trying to dry a load of clothes, bake a casserole, and run the AC at the same time, it works fine. We have a 3T heatpump that I've put the heat strips on a separate breaker so if I'm on generator power we can lock them out. This is a full electric house except for cooktop which is gas and I have a well for water. Even with all that if we are a little careful a MEP802 can handle it.

The issue with getting too much generator is wetstacking. You need to run these things with a good bit of load to keep them happy and healthy. That is a lot easier to do with a MEP802 than it is with a MEP803.

This is before we installed hybrid solar with a 6.8kw inverter and batteries. Now I can pretty much run on a MEP831 to charge batteries when the solar can't keep up.

nextalcupfan

In that case your only real draw is the Dryer, i'm not an expert but I think those average around 3500-4500 Watts.

So in my opinion an 802a would be plenty for your needs.

My home has a lot of electronics just a few include, 3 refrigerators, a deep freeze, and a half height server rack.
Even with all that going plus the furnace blower motor (about 800 watts) my 803a only reads around 15-20%.
Which would only be 30-40% on an 802a.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run my whole house off of my 802.
I look at it this way. I can pick one heavy load to run, and then run all the lights and entertainment at the same time.
I can do the oven, the dryer, or the hot water heater. I don't have any other heavy loads when the power is out (the woodshop and garage don't count).

Here is something to consider as well. If you are doing a generator inlet box and interlock breaker to feed your house, you can get everything you need at Home Depot for a 30 amp inlet. That's 7200 watts, perfect for the 802.
for the 803 you'd have to have a 50 amp setup (12kw), which I haven't seen on the shelf at any store in my area.

DaAntman

I really appreciate all your help you guys . I guess it’s time to work Sone OT and get get my self a 802 now the question is run the line out side and bury it Along the out side of my house or Run the inch n a quarter pvc conduit through the basement to
The ATS

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
802 with one of Kurt's remote start kits gets my vote for your needs:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really appreciate all your help you guys . I guess it’s time to work Sone OT and get get my self a 802 now the question is run the line out side and bury it Along the out side of my house or Run the inch n a quarter pvc conduit through the basement to
The ATS
Whats your local code call for? Do you care about that? I don't pull permits, so Im the wrong guy on that one.

DaAntman

802 with one of Kurt's remote start kits gets my vote for your needs:

What’s the difference between a remote start kit or the automatic transfer kit or are they the same

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
An ATS is basically is an automated mechanical power switch that will switch from utility power to your generators output power upon a utility power failure to maintain power to your house.
The Remote Start system is used to cause the generator to start upon the ATS sensing a failure of utility power.
Typically an ATS has a basic generator start/stop switch in it. That switch signals the Remote Start system to start as and stop the generator as needed to provide power to the ATS and then to your house as needed during utility power failures.
The Remote Start system handles all aspects of starting the generator, preheating as needed, priming the fuel system, starting the engine, warning it up closing its contactor upon startup and the converse when shutting the generator down.
The ATS and Remote Start systems are typically two different components.
Be sure to select an ATS that has a "dry contact" generator start/stop relay or switch in it to interface to a Remote Start system commonly know as a 2-Wire system.
Some ATS's only work with generators with special Remote start smarts in them such as Generac.

Last edited:

DaAntman

An ATS is basically is an automated mechanical power switch that will switch from utility power to your generators output power upon a utility power failure to maintain power to your house.
The Remote Start system is used to cause the generator to start upon the ATS sensing a failure of utility power.
Typically an ATS has a basic generator start/stop switch in it. That switch signals the Remote Start system to start as and stop the generator as needed to provide power to the ATS and then to your house as needed during utility power failures.
The Remote Start system handles all aspects of starting the generator, preheating as needed, priming the fuel system, starting the engine, warning it up closing its contactor upon startup and the converse when shutting the generator down.
The ATS and Remote Start systems are typically two different components.
Be sure to select an ATS that has a "dry contact" generator start/stop relay or switch in it to interface to a Remote Start system commonly know as a 2-Wire system.
Some ATS's only work with generators with special Remote start smarts in them such as Generac.
Thanks for
The help when that time comes I’ll be looking at seeing what ATS to buy I’m a HEO and firefoghter by trade not a eletrician so all this help Is appreciated

csheath

Well I know these pop up on occasion but trying to figure out what size gender I need for my house I have a 200 amp service A 3ton ac unit a hard start kit would be installed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks