• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803a 24volt draw

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I know my 003 does have a draw when off and I have my solar pulse charger wired accordingly! I'm not getting that spark on my 803 with last cable to battery but lost some charge in batteries while idle for 2 weeks and batteries are newer!!
Do you mean when off?

CapePrep

Do a search, but the only real potential for a draw is thru the alternator. I think it is a bad diode. You should remove the negative battery cable and hook your DVM up to see what the actual amperage draw is.

jamawieb

You shouldn't have any draw when off. I only start my personal units every 6 months and never have an issue. As CapePrep stated, the alternator is usually the root cause of excessive battery drain due to internal diode shorting. You can rebuild them for less than $40 and its simple to do.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Copy that!! Thanks
Do a search, but the only real potential for a draw is thru the alternator. I think it is a bad diode. You should remove the negative battery cable and hook your DVM up to see what the actual amperage draw is.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, will trouble shoot when I get back home!!! What will I be looking for on my meter, as far as volts/amps??? I know enough to get in trouble so all help and suggestion are welcome and appreciated!!
You shouldn't have any draw when off. I only start my personal units every 6 months and never have an issue. As CapePrep stated, the alternator is usually the root cause of excessive battery drain due to internal diode shorting. You can rebuild them for less than $40 and its simple to do.

csheath

Does it have a solar panel charger? Mine measures 24 volts if I don't disconnect the solar charger.

Kenny0

could also use a small 24 volt bulb instead a of a meter. Some meters have a max of milliamps or just a few amps, using a small bulb could protect your meter. If there is current flow (bulb can just glow red) then disconnect alternator wires and test again. If no current flow, then it is the alternator. Like above, most likely a bad diode.

edit: Also, don't assume the battery(s) are good just because they are not very old.

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can also safeguard your batteries by putting in a battery disconnect switch. The solar charger will continue to work.

Kenny0

Your solar charger could also be causing your problem. Battery disconnects have a lot of positives, but also have some negatives. If you have a bad or leaking battery it won't help. It would cover up a leaky diode in the alternator. If the diode keeps getting worse and probably will, it will burn out the stator in the alternator and cost more in the end. None of my personal equipment have disconnects.

Triple Jim

Those 50 or 60 milliamps will fully discharge a battery that size in about 42 days, assuming it's in good condition. I'm assuming the batteries have about a 50 amp-hour capacity. Something definitely seems to be drawing excessive current when the unit is off.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made no difference what was or was not hooked up! I might of made mistake # 1 bought inexpensive (cheap) Wally World batteries!!!
QUOTE=RJM27;2109430]Have negative disconnected read 11.9 volts amps settle down to .06-.05??[/QUOTE]

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have negative disconnected read 11.9 volts amps settle down to .06-.05??
You need to disconnect the positive cable and leave the negative on. Measure the resistance from positive cable(not battery terminal) to ground, then reverse the leads and see if that resistance changes.

A shorted diode in the alternator will read a low resistance in both directions. A good diode/s will read high in one direction and low in the other.

Be sure panel lights are off and disconnect charging device too.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made no difference what was or was not hooked up! I might of made mistake # 1 bought inexpensive (cheap) Wally World batteries!!!
QUOTE=RJM27;2109430]Have negative disconnected read 11.9 volts amps settle down to .06-.05??
[/QUOTE]

You can have the battery load tested to eliminate that as the problem. If the battery has an internal short it will discharge itself and will not sustain a load test.

Try that then test for other drains, like the alternator/diode pack.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will take a couple of days to free up time, will be next step!! I bought 2 value pack 21-6 from Wally 12-08-2018? Cold hard winter and some use as well! Hopefully there lies the problem! Originally was going to sell the 803 trailer mounted! Fell in love decided to keep her! Will need advice on correct batteries! Thanks to all
You can have the battery load tested to eliminate that as the problem. If the battery has an internal short it will discharge itself and will not sustain a load test.

Try that then test for other drains, like the alternator/diode pack.[/QUOTE]

Triple Jim

You can read discharge current by disconnecting either the ground or the positive battery lead, but you need to use caution, because a meter set to read milliamps will blow a fuse if you accidentally draw a high current.

Walmart batteries are not necessarily low quality. The two in my MEP-003A are 5-1/2 years old now, and still crank the engine nicely.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still lost, according to my panel meter they are not charging. The batteries load tested ok. Is there a way of reading the alternator to see if it is producing 24 volts or if they are charging. ???

You need to disconnect the positive cable and leave the negative on. Measure the resistance from positive cable(not battery terminal) to ground, then reverse the leads and see if that resistance changes.

A shorted diode in the alternator will read a low resistance in both directions. A good diode/s will read high in one direction and low in the other.

Be sure panel lights are off and disconnect charging device too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks