• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803a Battery charge gauge ?

paine

Happy 2018!!!

I have a 2007 803a that has new batteries and checked with a multimeter, appears to be charging. The gauge also shows discharging on prime\pre-heating, shows charging in initial start-up but shortly after start-up the gauge will show zero. Is this normal? Does the regulator stop charging the batteries when they are fully charged?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All is normal.
It will show discharging when on prime or preheat since the engine isn't running and you're drawing current from the batteries then. Discharging.
Once you start it the batteries start to re-charge. Charging.
After a short time of running the batteries are fully charged and the meter drops back to almost zero.
Yes, the regulator tapers off the charge as the batteries approach 100% charge.
After that the alternator is just providing power to keep the set running. Fuel Shutoff Solenoid, Gauges, Panel Lights, Fuel Pump(s), relays, etc.

Last edited:

csheath

Tip: If it continues to show a high rate of charge after a long period of running your batteries are probably failing.

I noticed mine never tapered off to zero during last months test and this month it was dead. The charge indicator stayed up around 10-15 amps. Thankfully my batteries were one day from the free replacement period so I got two free ones.

Guyfang

Staff member
Tip: If it continues to show a high rate of charge after a long period of running your batteries are probably failing.

I noticed mine never tapered off to zero during last months test and this month it was dead. The charge indicator stayed up around 10-15 amps. Thankfully my batteries were one day from the free replacement period so I got two free ones.
Classic symptom. The alternator continues to high charge, long after it should have gone down. Always stop the set, disconnect the batteries, and measure the batter voltage. If the battery has less then 12 volts, start looking for new ones. You can also use a battery load tester.

paine

Thanks guys.

I figured it was normal but just wanted to make sure. Good tip on how to know if your batteries are weak when it shows constant charge!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks