• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803a battery

csheath

Not the correct size as I'm sure someone will let you know but I used a Value Power group 26 from Wally World. Clears the unused engine mount tab and starts my unit just fine.

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1383.jpg

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and they vary between $84.99 and $89.99/ea, depending on the day you look online (they are always $89.99 in store). Cheaper to buy online when the price has dropped, and just pick them up in store.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you so much. I'm traveling back from Pennsylvania. Appreciate the help

csheath

For what it's worth the Value Power batteries at Walmart are $50 each and the higher CCA lawn tractor batteries are $30. You will have a core charge for each battery you don't have an old one for.

I have used the 275 CCA lawn tractor batteries in several applications including one in my Mustang and one in my JD855 tractor. I probably should have used them in my generator but I decided to splurge and spend the hundred bucks for two group 26 batteries. The main reason was to not have to alter the cables my unit had on it. The lawn tractor batteries require eyelet ends while the value power group 26 has the same top posts that the redtops used.

I forgot to mention the Walmarts around here have accepted any size lead acid battery I bring in as a core. I have taken in a little 7AH sealed battery and purchased a full size car battery. They don't seem to care that it isn't like size nor should they.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I hope you don't think you have heard the last of it! Everyone and his dog has an opinion about batteries. I am high on optima red tops. But that's just me.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a fan of optima red tops when they're already on board and charging. Most everything out of Letterkenny lately is missing batteries. They said that's how they've been coming to the yard! I've got a set of 8 year old wally's on my 002a, although I've had the solar 24 pulse tender on them and keep them serviced and that's cold upstate NY!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
It also depends on what you have inside.

If you have a MEP-803A with the plastic battery trays, and the red hold down bar and rods, then a type 34 or 34/78 battery is what fits. You can get whatever battery you want. Since you are familiar with 24v battery tenders, get a battery which works for you and being good to go when you need the unit to start.

If you do not want to use those trays and battery hold downs, then I guess a 26 would work.

csheath

The stock plastic tray actually goes up under the rear engine mount tab. You can see that pretty clear in my photo above. A group 24 battery is about the same width and length as a 34/78 and fits the tray perfect but if you try to set it in it hits the engine mount tab. It's been said you can pull it away from the tab with the hold down. I reckon the rounded cell shape on the Optimas are why the red top fits without hitting if it does.

I stuck the 26s in the trays and could probably tie them down with the straps but I have no reason to since my unit doesn't get moved.

EDIT: I attempted to install one of the tie downs on my group 26 battery and it would not fit without sliding the battery over in front of that engine mount tab. This would defeat the purpose of using that battery if you have the need to tie your batteries down. If you have a trailer mounted unit you will be moving around the 51R or possibly the lawn tractor battery would be a better choice.

Last edited:

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics

Will probably modify and give the Wally Values a try, seeing I have another solar pulse tender. On landline computer now, could not download photo's yesterday from my smart phone that I'm not smart enough to use, but sure keeps me humble.
Thanks for the the help and conversations yesterday, made the solo trip a bit more enjoyable.

Bob.

Attachments

Bmxenbrett

The only modification i had to do to get the lawnmower batteries in was to replace the cable bolts with a bit longer ones. The ends opened up just a bit fit the battery lug well.

Triton

I used to be a die hard Optima fan but as of late they haven't been as good as in the past, I heard they got bought out but can't confirm that. A friend of mine uses Wally Mart batteries because he said they are everywhere you are and their cheaper than Optima's. So I'm going down that same path, we'll see!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks