• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803A Hard to start

quartermeter

If I start it every day it’ll start. If I wait a week I’ve got a crank it 12 to 15 times before it will start. Once it started it runs fine.
I’ve got a fuel pump but I haven’t changed it yet to see if that made a difference.
what else could it be?
Thanks great site.

Scoobyshep

when you go to start, turn the selector to prime and run. what does the pump sound like? is it rapidly clicking or slow clicks?

Ray70

You should crack open the Banjo bolt coming out of the fuel filter housing. Upon turning S1 you should have immediate flow at the loosened banjo bolt. If not, you will need to start checking your fuel delivery system.

If your system is draining back, simply turning on the pump and letting it run for a minute should refill it and help diagnose this possibility.
The metering pumps require some pressure to work. They will not pump unless they are fed with about 5 psi.

Also check your fuel shut off solenoid and make sure it is pulling fully inward as soon as you start cranking. If not, the machine will not start easily.

Guyfang

Staff member
Keep in mind, there is no "check valve", per say in the set. The electric fuel pump itself is designed to stop fuel from draining back in the system. Mostly, it works just fine. That may be an area to look at. Like Ray, I think, and always did myself, turn the set to prime. and let it run a short while, before starting.

quartermeter

You should crack open the Banjo bolt coming out of the fuel filter housing. Upon turning S1 you should have immediate flow at the loosened banjo bolt. If not, you will need to start checking your fuel delivery system.

If your system is draining back, simply turning on the pump and letting it run for a minute should refill it and help diagnose this possibility.
The metering pumps require some pressure to work. They will not pump unless they are fed with about 5 psi.

Also check your fuel shut off solenoid and make sure it is pulling fully inward as soon as you start cranking. If not, the machine will not start easily.
It Clicks fast

quartermeter

Are the steps for checking the fuel shut off solenoid in the maintenance manual? Where is that solenoid located at the fuel pump

Lovetofix

Are the steps for checking the fuel shut off solenoid in the maintenance manual? Where is that solenoid located at the fuel pump
There is no fuel shutoff solenoid.
The stop/run solenoid (right in the center of the exhaust side of the engine) moves the (internal) rack to close the fuel metering lever on each of the individual injection pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ray70

Hold on... the pumps in an 802 / 803 make the same sound all the time. They do not slow down once the system is correctly primed. They are different than the magnetic plunger pumps in the 002/003 which slow down to a slow click once the system if full and primed.
Unfortunately the pumps in an 802 / 803 can also sometimes sound the same even when the are not pumping at all. The only way to tell for sure is to open up the system and test flow and pressure. The audible test only works on the air cooled machines.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
The MEP-802A/803A will have a hollow sound while priming, you will hear the sound change to a fuller sound when primed.
Starting procedure
Turn to prime, wait... wait... Turn to start, hold it on start, you are waiting for the oil pressure rise, which also flashes the exciter, oil pressure up, let go of S-1

Scoobyshep

Hold on... the pumps in an 802 / 803 make the same sound all the time. They do not slow down once the system is correctly primed. They are different than the magnetic plunger pumps in the 002/003 which slow down to a slow click once the system if full and primed.
Unfortunately the pumps in an 802 / 803 can also sometimes sound the same even when the are not pumping at all. The only way to tell for sure is to open up the system and test flow and pressure. The audible test only works on the air cooled machines.
I really need to stop reading these posts on my phone.

quartermeter

Well I put the e8131 on my 803 this morning as primary pump. It’s getting fuel to the filter. When I open the drain it shoots out with good pressure. But it still won’t start. I checked air filter it’s not clogged. tried to start it with air filter out still wouldn’t start. I have a video but can’t figure out how to load it.
What next?

Ray70

If your fuel solenoid is pulling in correctly when you attempt to crank, and the linkage is moving freely to the right , next thing I would do is crack the lines on top of the 4 metering pumps, crank from S1 ( not the dead crank switch ) and see if you are getting little spurts of fuel out of all 4 lines.
If you are, then next step is to move up top to the injectors.
If you are not getting fuel from the metering pumps it is probably time to inspect the fuel rack and the metering pumps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks