• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803a Oil Leak after new seal ?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Their site also lists a Lister Petter equivalent (751-10390). What did you receive? Onan does not make anything for this engine platform, only rebrands items from others.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ll be avoiding www.greenmountaingenerators.com
from here on out, check out this awesome customer service!!
This is copied from my email to GMG regarding the aftermarket (overpriced) seal:

Hi, I ordered a seal for my 803a that was listed as a Onan part. Unfortunately it is an aftermarket seal, I would like to return it as I have already sourced an OEM part. Thanks.

Please give me a call if needed”

GMG response:

“I'm sorry, but not really. The part we shipped fits fine. This was ordered from a supplier and they do not accept returns for small special orders.
GMG”

Can’t make this stuff up! I know it’s only $40, but with that kind of customer service response, I am going be talking with my credit card holder.
The secret about GMG is they don't stock anything (or hardly anything). When they get an order for something, they place an order with a supplier and have the supplier either drop ship it, or bring it in and ship it to you. If you didnt get an Onan branded item, or a Lister Petter exact.... they are completely in the wrong fr subbing in OEM correct items with foreign knockoffs.

Not the first time, won't be the last. They do this a lot with items they can no longer source.

paine

Ray70

Agreed... I have run into the same issue before myself. Paid top dollar for OEM parts ( 6X more expensive than ebay stuff ) and received the same cheap Chinese junk available dirt cheap elsewhere instead.
If they are going to sell knockoff crap, at least label and price it as such, for transparency!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even if he wanted to dance in they grey area and include the language "or equivalent", its still not right. But he doesn't, and it isn't. At one time GMG was one of the few games in town... How times have changed.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
The reality is that there's probably only a half dozen or so companies that make all of our oil seals. SKF, National, Dayton, KOK for example. I have a little resentment towards eBay too. I know that we lost the battle years ago to buy strictly US made items. The US companies have surrendered, or they've simply been bought out by foreign companies. We can go down a rabbit hole in that discussion. BUT when I make my purchases, I still wish to support our US commerce buy purchasing from a seller who resides in the US. eBay allows overseas sellers to have hubs in the US where their items are shipped from. So it LOOKS like they're US sellers when in fact they aren't. You have to dig really deep into each and every item that you look at on eBay to see that the seller is based in China for example. To me that's misleading and it's wrong. I don't know if SKF, Dayton, KOK or any of the other long time US seal companies are now located overseas. But I would be willing to bet that some of them are. I've had this discussion with several people who insist on purchasing US built items. We simply don't have that choice any longer.

loosegravel

Just a retired mechanic who's having fun!
The reality is that there's probably only a half dozen or so companies that make all of our oil seals. SKF, National, Dayton, KOK for example. I have a little resentment towards eBay too. I know that we lost the battle years ago to buy strictly US made items. The US companies have surrendered, or they've simply been bought out by foreign companies. We can go down a rabbit hole in that discussion. BUT when I make my purchases, I still wish to support our US commerce buy purchasing from a seller who resides in the US. eBay allows overseas sellers to have hubs in the US where their items are shipped from. So it LOOKS like they're US sellers when in fact they aren't. You have to dig really deep into each and every item that you look at on eBay to see that the seller is based in China for example. To me that's misleading and it's wrong. I don't know if SKF, Dayton, KOK or any of the other long time US seal companies are now located overseas. But I would be willing to bet that some of them are. I've had this discussion with several people who insist on purchasing US built items. We simply don't have that choice any longer.
I forgot to add…the name that’s on the seal package may not be as important as the name that’s on the seal itself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks