• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

803a won't hold frequency under load

mijoe

Good Evening All, I was working on a new-to-me 803, and I noticed the unit's engine speed varies with even a light load. The largest swing I saw was between 58.5hz and 61. The engine speed varies every 5 second or so, in a smooth, cyclical way. So far on this unit, I have changed the oil, coolant, well nut, fuel and filters. When this is going on, the temp and oil pressure look fine. Where should I look next?

mijoe

How much load will the unit take before bogging?
And how much load is it under when this was happening?
It started doing it when the engine was up to temp, at 75% indicated load. After that, when started and already warm, it would start to behave the same with as little as 20% load. When the machine is first started, it runs fine, even if it's already warm. As soon as load is applied, the engine speed starts hunting.

Ray70

If it's hunting up and down rather than just bogging down I would tend to suspect the governor droop is set too sensitive.
Check the TM, the drop screw ( allen head screw ) is located under the 3/8" pipe plug in the timing cover, just forward of the throttle lever. The TM explains how to adjust it.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A timely thread... got an 802 that's doing a bit of a frequency dance this morning. Thanks for the direct TM location info.

mijoe

A huge thanks to Ray70, kloppk and Guyfang! It is astounding what a 1/2 counter-clockwise turn can do. This machine runs like a top now, thanks to your assistance. Thanks again (y)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks