• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

805a Low VAC & Hz on run, but perfect when held on start

kirkmarsh

Hey all-
I am very new to generators and forums. Please let me know if this issue has been discussed and I'll dig in here another couple of hours.

I have a new to me 805a and the engine seems to be running fine. When I start it, I hold the start for 10 seconds as described in other posts. When I do this the generator holds 60Hz and 120 volts just fine. When I release the start switch to run, the Hz spike to max, then decrease to 53 Hz and hold steady while the volts plummet to around 28 volts. Please let this be a quick fix and not a death knell. Any thoughts anyone?

Things I have done:
Confirmed it is set to 60 Hz on interior panel
Reset the Overspeed on interior panel
then
Reset the Fault Indicator

FNG
K

kirkmarsh

I don’t know. I just got the genset and I’m new to this. From the threads I looked up I need to find “a big honkin’ fuse.” I am looking now and it doesn’t seem to be modified. 88BF67A8-A126-4F42-A280-11D67F55648C.jpeg

kirkmarsh

I don’t know. I just got the genset and I’m new to this. From the threads I looked up I need to find “a big honkin’ fuse.” I am looking now and it doesn’t seem to be modified. View attachment 785226
TB 11-6115-741-24, page 33 of 136 in the pdf file. Here's this TB - https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/military-mep-generator-reset-information.169771/

I do not think you have the Quad Fuse installed.

Other TMs you will need...... https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threa...-work-on-the-mep-805a-30-kw-generator.169069/
Now that I read this, I do not have it installed. I’ll get this done over the next several days and see how it goes. Thank you.

kirkmarsh

Hi there. Did the quad mod. When I turned it on everything worked correctly. Hertz was at 60 and voltage was able to be dialed to whatever needed. Then I plugged in a 13 amp power saw to the convenience receptacle. Should have looked at the amperage because it’s only a 10amp receptacle. Now I’m having the same issue as before. Any ideas? I reset over speed and fault indicator again. Nothing changed when I restarted. Feel like an idiot right now because it was working there for a minute and then I pushed my luck.

Guyfang

Staff member
Hi there. Did the quad mod. When I turned it on everything worked correctly. Hertz was at 60 and voltage was able to be dialed to whatever needed. Then I plugged in a 13 amp power saw to the convenience receptacle. Should have looked at the amperage because it’s only a 10amp receptacle. Now I’m having the same issue as before. Any ideas? I reset over speed and fault indicator again. Nothing changed when I restarted. Feel like an idiot right now because it was working there for a minute and then I pushed my luck.
Are you sure you are holding the S1 in the start position long enough?

Guyfang

Staff member
That should be good. As soon as the meters come up and stabilize, that's good. A tad longer will not hurt. If you start and stop it, say 10-15 times in a row, do you always get the over volt light?

kirkmarsh

It’s been under voltage every time I have started the generator except for the first time after doing the modification. The only thing I can think of is that I disconnected the batteries to do the mod. Do you think that reset something that fixed it?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check for any loose connections, and simultaneously... hit every switch, nut, bolt, terminal strip, and anything you can with contact cleaner. Lets make sure the set is getting the best information possible to run properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks