• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

806B Acting really weird.

UnderhoodGSE

Hopefully someone can get me an answer on this thing.

Currently deployed here in Tinian. I'm just a regular mech and generators confused. A/C current is trippy.

this 806B fires up and runs just fine, but the Display (CIM?) shows 0 faults but the voltage is showing 110 on the left and right but the middle bar is showing 208ish. and 0 HZ/frequency.
but when I go to the menu screen thing it shows 0 voltage for the first one and then the next 2 below show voltage (i dont remember what it said)

and lastly when i go to check the output of the generator at the contactor each post show the 110ish volts.

i have no idea where to start.

any help would be greatly appreciated. next time im at camp ill snag some pictures of the screen.

Guyfang

Staff member
I know CECOM set an LAR out there to help you guys, so ask your Chief to find him.

But in the mean time:
1. Is this your gen set? By that, I mean have you seen it work right before? Or are you trying to fix someone else gen set? Or a set form POMCUS?

2. Did you all read the operators TM? Is the 50/60 Hertz switch in the right position?

3. With the set off, remove the Neg terminal at the battery. Count to 10. Replace the terminal.

4. When starting the set, hold the s1, (start switch) in the start position at LEAST 5 seconds after the gen set sounds like its started. If you do not hold S1 up long enough, the gen set will give you freaky reading.

5. Are the Batteries FULLY charged? Low batteries give you freaky faults.

Take a picture of the CIM, or a film and post it. If the voltages were not in the right ball park, the set would show a low volt failure.

UnderhoodGSE

Uhh Im with the Seabees so I think your talking about something else on this island...

1. Is this your gen set? By that, I mean have you seen it work right before? Or are you trying to fix someone else gen set? Or a set form POMCUS?
This Gen is part of our TOA, got turned over from last battalion in this condition.

2. Did you all read the operators TM? Is the 50/60 Hertz switch in the right position?
Switch is in right position

3. With the set off, remove the Neg terminal at the battery. Count to 10. Replace the terminal.
Had to put new batteries in so was off for more than 10 secs

4. When starting the set, hold the s1, (start switch) in the start position at LEAST 5 seconds after the gen set sounds like its started. If you do not hold S1 up long enough, the gen set will give you freaky reading.
Yes, I just learned about this one and i have made sure to hold that a lot now

5. Are the Batteries FULLY charged? Low batteries give you freaky faults.
brand new batteries.

Take a picture of the CIM, or a film and post it. If the voltages were not in the right ball park, the set would show a low volt failure.

Its the weekend right now so next time at camp will take some pictures or videos. I thought it would set a low volt fault too but its not actually low as I said i checked the AC voltage coming out and into the interrupter/contactor and it shows 110 ish AC volts on all 3 white wires. So I'm wondering if the display is reading wrong? I have no idea how to check Hz with a multimeter...
I haven't checked the actual lugs after trying to close the contactor because it doesn't close or at least the monitor says it is open no matter how many times I click the switch. But again 0 faults.

UnderhoodGSE

@Guyfang
I have attached screen shots of the display and what it's doing while it's running (someone was messing with it while I was away and had the hz switch in the 50 spot but it does the same thing in the 60hz spot) . And I attached a picture of where I tested 120v and 60hz at each of those white wires on the contactor. Interruptor does not close, verified by not having voltage at connecting lugs.

Here is a link to the video that is valid till the 17th
Linksharing.samsungcloud.com/v9y8uSMc667NScreenshot_20220215-175242_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220215-175225_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
When you turn on the S1, to the run position, (Not start, just run) Do you get a heart beat on the I&O:
The status of the I/O
interface module is indicated by a green HEARTBEAT light emitting diode (LED) which blinks at a rate of approximately
two times per second to indicate the module is operational.

Attached is something to help you "read" the led light in the control panel.

Before I did anything, I would check EVERY connector in the control cube. This set is well known for having loose connectors, giving you strange problems.

Attachments

UnderhoodGSE

When you turn on the S1, to the run position, (Not start, just run) Do you get a heart beat on the I&O:
The status of the I/O
interface module is indicated by a green HEARTBEAT light emitting diode (LED) which blinks at a rate of approximately

Before I did anything, I would check EVERY connector in the control cube. This set is well known for having loose connectors, giving you strange problems.
I do remember seeing the green heart beat light, didn't notice it flashing. The heart beat was flashing on the screen on the bottom right though.

Will go through and check all connections and check the LED's later today when I get to camp and update this evening.

Guyfang

Staff member
My Father spent 1 year on Kawajalein and some time on Tinian, and several months on Bikini preparing for the Operation Crossroads Nuke tests. He was a photographer, in the Navy. I still have someplace, lots of pictures of all those places.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My Father spent 1 year on Kawajalein and some time on Tinian, and several months on Bikini preparing for the Operation Crossroads Nuke tests. He was a photographer, in the Navy. I still have someplace, lots of pictures of all those places.
Wow!
Those pictures would be incredible to see!

UnderhoodGSE

The status of the I/O

Hey Guy. Sorry for the long delay but we're digging back into this Gen. So looking at the lights. When it's running the GEN LED on the load Sharing block is not on. Any idea what to look at that for those?

Last edited: