• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

809 or 939 series trying to decide

crusader

I've been doing research as often as possible to the point my eyes begin to hurt and I've enjoyed learning about these vehicles.
I'm not counting on one of these trucks to have stellar fuel mileage. I would probably increase the fuel capacity to have more range. I would want a hardtop and wonder if there is a difference in sturdiness comparing the cab of one to the other and what leaks to expect if any during rain.
The M925 is very appealing.:mrgreen:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, by 800 & 900 series, you mean 809 series and M939 series?

F18hornetM

I have soft tops on all mine, none leak. Although window gaskets do. Pro's and con's to both depending on what you like. Manual transmission vs automatic, Air brakes [wedge brakes] vs air over hydraulic. Both have power steering. A sprag engaged front axle on the 809's and manually engaged on the 939's. Early 939's and 809's same engine. Cab on 939 is little larger. 939 is little taller. just some things off the top of my head. I like the 939's. Drove them [M923's] when they were first put in service. But, I like the looks of the 809's better. So my suggestion is...buy one of each!:beer:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I now prefer the 900 A2 series with hardtop. Much quieter, better fuel mileage, bigger cab and the flip front end makes maint a whole lot easier than standing on your head to work on the engine in an 800 series.

Bighurt

For me the logical decision is a M809 for a toy, M939 for a work truck. My motivation in that sense is registration M809 like M44 are generally over 40 making them a lifetime $10 registration in ND. The M939 at commercial is substantially more. Beyond that there are a ton of other factors but registration is a major expense for me with my collection. Fortunately Uncle Sam pays it with my tax return, along with fluids and other annual Mx costs.

At some point I'd like a M809. I'd also like a M932A2 gun truck, but we all dream further than our budgets.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both. I like the auto and the air brakes of the M939 series. Oh, and more roomy cab.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both, also. The M939 auto transmission is easier in traffic, but I really enjoy manually jamming the gears, and you can't push start an auto transmission. The same engine in both will give higher speeds in the M939 trucks. Wreckerman is right about the maintenance being easier with the M939 trucks with the tilt hoods.

GET BOTH!! They're relatively cheap compared to other toys.

F18hornetM

I agree with all of you. But...You have to admit, sitting next to each other the 809's are tough looking. Nose looks longer, though not sure it is. Just shape. Got to love the tilt hood on the 939 though. Like I said buy both or whatever you find your budget will allow. Either will be a blast.

5tonman1971

The m809 series is your best option for your first MV if must have a 5 ton. Why? Becuase parts are some what cheaper, everything is mechanical and easier to work on and more forgiving. They are generally cheaper in start up price and in my opinion they have the mean bull dog stance and is good quality iron. And for registration and insurance purposes the m809 is also much cheaper it cost me 50$ for historical plates till 2050 and my insurance is 24$ a month for full coverage.
Here are a few pictures I took of ole' oscar today. Plus one with out the cargo cover and troop seats.

but like everyone said, get both, seriously. I just bought a m923 and awaiting my time to go pick it up.

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I NEVER thought I'd say this because I have been an M939 series fan since before they were coming out and especially, since 2001 when I bought my first. I'd suggest an M809 series truck.

crusader

Thank you for your responses. We are wanting one of these trucks as a bug out vehicle and to have some fun with. Reliability and simplicity are hi on the list.
I agree with F18HornetM that either truck will be a blast to own.:)
Has anyone increased the fuel capacity of these trucks? I know Transfer Flow has bed tanks and refueling tanks for pickups but have not found anything for the military vehicles yet.

5tonman1971

Has anyone increased the fuel capacity of these trucks? I know Transfer Flow has bed tanks and refueling tanks for pickups but have not found anything for the military vehicles yet.
You will not find things like that for military trucks. You will have to custom fit and mount and external civi tank like that. What you could do is remove the passenger side tool box on an m809 and add a secondary fuel tank from the tractors or cargo truck(not sure which ones of the top of my head) that have duel fuel tanks and grab it's secondary tank and plum everything in to existing fuel system. It's much easier then it sounds.

crusader

You will not find things like that for military trucks. You will have to custom fit and mount and external civi tank like that. What you could do is remove the passenger side tool box on an m809 and add a secondary fuel tank from the tractors or cargo truck(not sure which ones of the top of my head) that have duel fuel tanks and grab it's secondary tank and plum everything in to existing fuel system. It's much easier then it sounds.
That sounds like a simple idea if the components are similar in size. I guessing a selector switch would be installed for a fuel transfer solenoid and to change tank sending units.
I see your truck has the super singles. Is this a better application for the truck than the smaller tires?
What components are necessary to correct the speedometer?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks