• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

809 or 939 series trying to decide

F18hornetM

No solenoid on My M931. Just a manual selector valve, [mounted left of driver seat on floor]and a manual switch[left of steering column, under dash] to select which tank the fuel gage reads. Looks like would be pretty easy.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M809 for a first five ton. The looks is what makes it.

If you want a way to extend the range get a 275 gallon IBC container and put fittings and a hose on it. Then put the container in the bed. Rumor has it a couple of trucks drove all the way from Ohio to the GA Rally a few years and back and never purchased fuel along the way.

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both series also. Start with a M809 to gain experience for all the positives already stated, plus they have "that look", then save up for a M939, hence you now are a collector. Plus, if you're going to "bug" out, you'll need two trucks for all your "stuff". Wife/GF can drive the automatic.
Have fun.
JC

5tonman1971

I see your truck has the super singles. Is this a better application for the truck than the smaller tires?
What components are necessary to correct the speedometer?

Yes these tires are a better application then the NDTs, some guys swear by the ndts but they are terrible. They bounce they shake they take forever to warm up, they are bias ply (yuck) and they only allow your truck to go about 50-55 with ur foot to the floor. Now the super single are radial tires and they are smooth warm up nice improve braking distance much more safe and gives you a higher top speed and altimatly giving you better fuel mileage. The only down side to these 16.00 is it took away a bit of the bottom end. In the future I might go with the 14.00 instead.

I'm not sure if they make a diffrent speedo gear for the super singles on the m809, they might have them but I never bothered to check. I just verified with my gps my speed and adjust accordingly to the dash speedo. With these 16.00 it's about 10-15 mph faster then what the gauge says. But if your using it for z bug out vehicle the speedo will be that last of your worries

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M809 series which had super singles in service have speedometers to match. Mine is a Marine truck in stock configuration (with 14.00s) and the speedo reads correctly. Same goes for 939 series trucks.

I don't really understand the "bugout" thing, but would think that perhaps the simpler 809 would be better for that?

The 939 trucks are way more complex, but are much quieter, and get better mileage (in my experience).

My M813 is still the truck I most enjoy driving for fun.

Cheers

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M809 for a first five ton. The looks is what makes it.

If you want a way to extend the range get a 275 gallon IBC container and put fittings and a hose on it. Then put the container in the bed. Rumor has it a couple of trucks drove all the way from Ohio to the GA Rally a few years and back and never purchased fuel along the way.

Ferro and I got 3 trucks from SC to Haspin IN., and never brought fuel. Twice in fact. Had 750 gallons of fuel in the bed of my M814

Unless you are in low range, you should be able to go 300-360 miles on a 78 gallon tank. I have made 375, but the seat belt was getting tight, and I started to hear things(like a fuel hiccup)the last 15 miles. I was loaded to 32,000 on the tires when I did the 375.

61sleepercab

I own a M925 for fun and a m35 for backup. I like the drive in the M925 better. Check your fixed costs, insurance, registration and taxes if any. Age of vehicle may reduce costs as in WV 25 years old is antique plate for parades like$20.00 for several years worth. You run into insurance problem with antique trucks over 1 ton. Everyone then wants to insure you commercial.

Pull start is a plus but other than parking on a hill and having air to charge brakes, what is big enough to pull a 5 ton?
My advice, buy the best shape truck you can afford at first. Register as antique if possible and play with it. Get bulk storage tank for bed and gravity fuel to regular tank.
If SHTF are you going to stop if you do not have right tags then?? Have fun Mark