• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

813 with final drives?

Smokinyoda

Saw an interesting 813 for sale on a site I cant mention. Wanted to share some pics to see if anyone has seen anything like it. Here is part of the description:

1974 XM813 5-ton 6x6, with 3821 miles and 1956hrs. This was purchased from a Military Research Facility that had implemented a super strong drive train. It has the 250 Cummins with a 5 speed transmission and 2 speed transfer case. The rear axles oscillate independently,
Looks like 1 diffrential feeds 2 sets of final drives??? Anyone know anything about this, or seen anything similar?:shock:

Attachments

jd-ford-hd

The "powered walking beam" is very similar to road grader finals that are sometimes chain driven inside the case. These appear to be gear driven due to the visible bearing retainer plates along the case. This type of drive system allows a much further range of articulation without the binding of a propellor shaft between two conventional drive axles. I personally have never seen anything like this before on a 5 ton....!:?:

jd-ford-hd

This thing is interesting to say the least..! The cross shaft behind the differential appears to be the locking mechanism to lock the two axles together, for all wheel drive, engaged by the air chamber on the left side.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Looks like something I could have fun doing some field testing out on and trying to break it!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
there is another thread about this same truck and drives

the drive/rear looks like from a old cat 12

Last edited:

quickfarms

Here is the other thread

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-mods-hot-rodding/82565-custom-axle-susp-what.html

There is yellow paint on the rear pumpkin and it appears to have s cam air brakes.

I bet the parts are commercially available and not custom made just for this truck.

It is interesting and there are probably many different prototypes out there including the 900 series 5 tons with airride suspension.

One thing I find interesting is the super singles that is is riding on.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BET that was built in someone shop for a super low geared heavy weight (because of the over loads) water or drill rig truck, the front has open (no boot) knuckle and a fabed axle, take the cat 12 bit back, thay were juice brakes, what old 6x6 grader had air that was close to cat yellow, what about a old pettybone

Last edited:

Blind Driver

Saw an interesting 813 for sale on a site I cant mention. Wanted to share some pics to see if anyone has seen anything like it. Here is part of the description:

Looks like 1 diffrential feeds 2 sets of final drives??? Anyone know anything about this, or seen anything similar?:shock:
You can mention it. Not exactly a secrett site

One thing I find interesting is the super singles that is is riding on.
The tires don't look special to me.

Does anyone have more info? Is it even worth buying?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks