• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 front winch failure...... Help

wcuhillbilly

Pulling a recovery for a rancher the other day and ended up with major mud in the eye.....
backed up to the ravine he had dumped his truck into and attempted to engage the rear drag winch. No can do, the rear controls were not actuating the truck clutch.... Ok so Ive blown an air line.... I will just switch to the front winch since this truck is only a single wheel F350 4x4 with flat bed and a spray unit.
So I get into position and we get the front unwound and hooked up. Winching is going good untill about half way up the side of the ravine, the winch seems to kick into neutral and free spool to the bottom of the ravine...... :shock: Ok,,,, maybe the lever dropped out on the pto engagement (816 = mechanical not Hydraulic) So I re-engaged and all was going well again untill about 3/4 up the hill it did it again. I Finally swapped ends and used the drag winch with my wife in the crane bucket giving me hand signals via the mirror while I sat in the cab controling the pull with the foot clutch..... ( I have since gotten a new Type 9 air can for the clutch/rear controls)

Ok,,,, the front winch...
I have checked the PTO engagement.... alll good
I have checked the shear pins, ...... all good,,,, btw where can I get more and what size are they.????
Talked to Memphis and they said there are some hold keys in the front winch that should have held the load, and that the worm gear is walking off the drum cog....... I know I need to pull it and tear it down,, but does anyone have pics or experiance with this.. not to mention the part #s....

Hydraulic Conversion????????

Thanks.... and if its easier to just explain over the phone,,,, feel free to call me.
Joe. 307-282-0773

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Doghead has a bunch of the shear pins, send him a PM for more info.

There is a worm gear brake on the front of the winch that should "hold the load". I'd pull the front cover off and check the brake band condition and/or adjustment.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like your just going to have to tear into it and see what you find.

I don't understand the term "worm walking off the drum cog". Only way I could see that happening is if you had bad bearings or the worm exited the case. Either way, it would be obvious from looking at the outside.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks