• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 overhaul places

martinsaunders06

On my 816 it has various overhaul data plates( winchs, crane etc). the overhaul center? is descibed as OVERHAULED AT " MZ - AD- TARP.?. 1985 does anyone know where/what this place is and what country its in. Is it a army rebuild center or outside contractors etc but mainly in which country or even town would be real interesting. many thanks martin

herfurthba

Hi Martin, my M52A2 has been overhauled in 1985, too. My plate says TARP-MZ-AD. Did you find out? As my truck was with the Army in Germany and still is in Germany I would guess the place is in Germany. My guess is the city "Mainz", but I might be wrong.
Isn't there anyone in this community who knows?

herfurthba

Found something: "In mid-1965, the S&MA commenced operating under the military standard requisitioning and issue procedures (MILSTRIP); during the latter part of the year the processing of requisitions for brand name resale subsistence items was relocated to Giessen, Germany. The following year saw more changes. The United States Industrial Center, Europe, located at Sandhofen, Germany was discontinued resulting in the saving of considerable manpower. The four major rebuild plants at Mainz, Böblingen, Schwäbisch-Gmünd and Ober-Ramstadt, Germany, which were controlled by the United States Army Industrial Center, Europe, continued as independent activities, under the operational control of S&MA, assigned to United States Army Communications Zone, Europe." http://www.usarmygermany.com/Sont.h.../Units/LogisticalComds/USAREUR_200thTAMMC.htm

herfurthba

TARP-MZ-AD =Theater Army Repair Program Mainz Army Depot

The truck has been overhauled at Mainz Army Depot in Mainz, Germany. The depot was run by few army personell and the subcontractor was "Mainz Industries Panzwerwerke GmbH" and later "MIP Instandsetzungsbetriebe GmbH" (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIP_Mainz_Industries_Panzerwerke) between 1951 and 1994. The MIP had more than 5.000 people working there and it was the largest army repair facility outside the US: https://www.google.com/maps/place/50°01'00.0"N+8°14'03.0"E/@50.016667,8.234167,15z

herfurthba

The truck has been overhauled at Mainz Army Depot in Mainz, Germany. The depot was run by few army personell and the subcontractor was "Mainz Industries Panzwerwerke GmbH" and later "MIP Instandsetzungsbetriebe GmbH" between 1951 and 1994. The MIP had more than 5.000 people working there and it was the largest army repair facility outside the US.