• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 power divider shaft

catskillpond

Friend bought an 1971 816 the power divider shaft is one piece, mine has split shaft the TM shows the split shaft any advice to drop shaft out. Took out bolts on both velocity joints not enough play to remove shaft any advice would be appreciated have to replace boots and seals. Thanks Scott

catskillpond

I think their job is retrofitting a hydraulic unit thanks for the reply.Im sure someone has taken one out without removing power divider. My other thought was cut it in the middle and bring it to machinist and make union in middle

red

Pretty simple and requires no cutting. There are 2 bolts that attach the power divider to the bottom of the main storage box of the wrecker bed. Need 1 person under the truck to hold a wrench on the nuts and another person up in the storage box to do 2 things:
1. Run a ratchet strap from the eyelet loop (at the top of the power divider) to something solid, we attached it to the top edge of the box.
2. Remove the 2 bolts.

That will allow the power divider to be moved far enough out of the way to get that **** PTO shaft out.

wcuhillbilly

Actually there will be 4 bolts holding the power divider to the box. Like Red said, I put a 4x4 post from the spare tire over to the crane and used a heavy ratchet strap to suspend the divider. don't get under it as it weighs in around 100# and lineing it up is a bear.

The military parts suppliers wanted around $2000 for that shaft and $700 each for the CV joints which is what lead me to retrofit the shaft system that I ended up with in the link that EO2NMCB was referring to... Ultimately Red and I will convert to full hydraulics but the PTO shaft retrofit saved me a lot of money and got me back up and running until I can gather up the Hydraulic retrofit parts.

Holler if you need some Questions answered
Joe 307-282-0773

catskillpond

Thankyou for replies had to wait today for parts for excavator went under cut shaft in half with sawzall took it down to power drive they welded 2 bolt yokes and balanced came home installed had metal caps on end must have been first model where seals go. Used PVC caps and RTV to seal assembled and will try in the morning after cure. Shop charged $125.00 to do work

catskillpond

Had time after draining crane drive power divider 2 quarts of water in drain bucket. Went and drained differentials ,transmission, transfer case 2 gallons of water. Good friend so we drained everything. Hoist motor was 50% water and gear oil swing box bone dry. Opened bottom drain of hydraulic tank more water and strange fluid after then 10 weight oil on top. Winch chain drive box grease never done rear winch no fluid when drain plug opened Front winch was low but not contaminated Both front axle seals leaking gear oil through bolts and CV boots. Pulled flange covers on front wheels rust on bearings and water. Pulled axle shafts on rear rusty water gear oil. When he drove over to shop looked in good shape must have been used in Jersey recovery after storm and never serviced.
Jim wanted to use it this weekend to load logs on property he is clearing property, the union of the cable and clevis on the hoist cable at the hook was rotted. I said to him there is a brass keeper in the clevis but water follows the cable and they rust.he wants to use the winches I advised him to inspect and load test both winches and use ballast on cables. .

To anyone buying a Vehicle drain all fluids refill to LO and inspect all mechanicals do not rely on sellar word

wcuhillbilly

Full service on these trucks is extremely important... sounds like you got lucky with at least one box having lube in it and only being low... CSMdavis is a good guy to talk to from time to time... he knows every lube point very intimately on these older 809s and 816s... The scarecity of seals and the those crane drive CV joints is what led Red and I to find some cheap Excavator rotary manifolds to retro fit into our crane drives so we can move the crane pump to the frame rail and do away with the shaft drives unreliability, due to lack of readily accesable replacement parts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks