• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

816 year please

martinsaunders06

can any of you guys in the know please help,the fist question is does anyone know the year/details/any other info on my new m816 wrecker with vin C12711962 /MZADTARP and also some people refer to their 800 series as being a "X" m? what does the X refer too.many thanks martin

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This brief explanation was posted by David Doyle. The post was asking about the X designation also.
Need to see pix to fully understand what you have - but can tell you an "X" in the registration number NWOX1Q does not signify experimental - in fact, unlike aircraft, even in the model number (such as XM211) it does not mean experimental. It designates a vehicle that has not been type classified as yet.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

madsam

Hmm. I would like to know that too. When I went to GL to get the title paperwork , I made up a date. GL sold it to me, then wanted me to tell them that year it was. Mine is now a 1981.. The data plate does not seem to have that. Can someone tell us how to find the year?

martinsaunders06- Can you upload some pics. I bet it is expensive to get fuel for your 816 in england.. I know it chuncks a lot of fuel here.

martinsaunders06

yeah will try to put pics on,when i first joined ss a couple months ago i went thro all 5ton posts and i came across some photos of it put on by another uk ss member asking you 816 guys if it looked ok.he didnt buy it and nearly 2years later i did.fuel here in uk is £1.10 litre/£5 plus gallon/$10plus gallon..the strange thing is that lots of the data plates on it have dates of 1984/1985 and engine is dec 1984 with the earliest date being transfer rebuild 1981.i have read here that 816 were made from 1970 to 1981?- hence im confused over age and would appreciate some idea=- am general vin C12711962?.im hoping mr doyle can offer an explanation..thanks martin

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here's the info on the first truck:
Organization: 152ND TRANSPORTATION DETACHMENT

Nomenclature:TRUCK WRECKER 5-TON Model:M816 W/W NSN:2320000510489
Serial Number:C12711962 Registration Number:NL041Z Year of Mfg:1972
Manufacturer:65909
Info was from 1986 and there is information that it went to another unit but that unit must have been inactivated because I can't bring up the unit profile.

madsam

Ok, I will. but that is funny. I live near Fort Carson and it is funny that that truck went from where I live all the way to England. Mine probably came from England to Colorado Springs... ..

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
RE: ?

OK here ya go

Organization: 724TH ENGINEER BATTALION HEADQUARTERS AND HEADQUARTERS COMPANY

Nomenclature:TRUCK WRECKER 5-TON Model:M816 W/W NSN:2320000510489
Serial Number:C12711203 Registration Number:5E91271 Year of Mfg:1971
Usage Miles: 30813

This was on a 1995 record of the vehicle being accepted into the unit above. Nothing else on this vehicle.
Depends on when you got this vehicle but it gives you some indication if it was ever used in another unit. For instance if you didn't get the vehicle until 2007 then it probably saw use with another unit. Nothing definate but likely.

madsam

RE: ?

Thanks.. I was only off by 10 years..

I bought it out of Mississippi and it came from WI. It sure would be interesting to know how these trucks get to where they are found. They seem to travel more than I realized. A lot of the trucks coming out of Kansas are just back from Iraq.

martinsaunders06

that info is ace medlog,so i suppose for front/rear winch@crane@engine data plates all to have 1984 on them must mean what ever unit had it must of wore it out and it had a major overhaul?.under green paint is sand/desert colours?.truck has had hard life coz pto for crane totally shot consequently leaked all transfer oil out some time in past,had no fuel filter in it and so pump/injectors had it,fuel tank holed,crane boom ram and hyd motor leaking=expensive project coz parts over here very hard to find.thanks for helping boys! martin

Crash_AF

I'll bet that first truck went from Ft Carson to Saudi for Desert Storm and got surplussed out on the way back. Guessing from the description of the current state of the truck, it was beat to heck in Saudi for that express purpose.

martinsaunders06

now wouldnt that be cool=cant find any sand anywhere??.in an ideal world it be great to have a detailed history of your vehicle,it would prob kill to see how they were treated-but a nice thought anyway. if my wrecker went to ft carson in 1972 can any one tell me what colour it would of been?thanks martin

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
In 1972 it was most likely Green or the woodland camo. remember we were going to fight the big bad bear at that time on the plains of Europe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks