• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

817 almost goes for a swim

poppop

My Friend Bob bought his 817 to clean out his pond and make it deeper. After backing in and removing over 700 loads he forgot he had narrowed the road. He almost dropped the back in but cut the wheel to the left which kept the back out but the front wheel fell in. Used the excavator to pick up the front and the truck backed out. No damage done except to Bob's pride

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does he have a passengerside mirror? What kind a ground is that, is it that good ole Ga clay? Musta scared him a bit, I woulda been getting ready to bail!

poppop

Doghead, he now understands the importance of the passenger side mirror. Did not see any stains on the seat, but he did not know the gravity of the situitation until he got out and saw just how close he came to going in. He was still pretty excited when he got to my place to get help to get it out. Oh, and it was good solid ga. dirt that would not cave in. If it had been wet it would have been slick, almost as bad as that Red clay at the rally.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was red clay at the GA rally? Just kidding, that stuff was slicker than green snot. Is this the same Bob that needed a fan Lloyd?

poppop

Yes Kenny, he bought two dumps and the other one did not have a fan. It looks like the fan I got from you will not work. There is something different about the hub. it seems there is an aluminum spacer of some sort betwwen the fan and the pump hub. He has not spent a lot of time checking it out yet. His main objective was to get the pond cleaned out while it was dry, and he just finished that up last week.

bob130ab

Well, I hate to admit it, but I was not checking my right mirrow. Just watching my left for the last trip's tire prints. Didn't mess up my pants or seat, didn't realize how serious this was until I got out and looked over the situation. I thought that I had damaged the truckt. The hood and engine side panel moved sideways 4 inches and was pressing against the air filter. If this had been a hard top, it would have been damaged by one corner of the bed top which was resting on the soft top. It looked like the whole frame and cab assembly was twisted. After setting it back on level ground everything came back in place. It was back working a couple hours later with no repairs required.

The good news is, the work is completed and rain is on the way.

Another problem that I had to address is that a week after I finished, the county zoneing inspector called and wanted to know if I had a permit from the US Core of Engineers for disturbing the dirt. He said that someone complaned. I think that I satisfied him, I didn't have a permit but Ag pond under 10 acres are exempt.

Last thing, Pop Pop helped me get it out so I sent him this picture, I thank him as he have help me out of the pond more than once on other situations. But about this picture, I am going to keep my camera ready for a picture of his next screw up.

Bob Martin
Brooklet, GA

2 M817s

Now it is time to clean about 4 inches of harded mud from the old girl and let her rest for the winter.

This was one of the Trucks that Hattesburg sold as residue. I have us her for 3 months and spent no money on her except for fuel. Me and a frend bought 3 each 817s off that sale, all were residue. This one started with jump from Hattiesburg's service wreaker and pulled a second one over 500 miles. My friend pulled his with his commerical tractor. All three only required stopping air leaks on the fuel system and new batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks