• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

817 Recovery from WPAFB for trooper632

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone suggested I might be close enough to help out with trooper632's 817 at WPAFB.

So I took the day off from work and asked my Brother to go with me but called him off first thing this morning because I had not heard back anything about the trucker's contact info.

So I pulled two batteries out of one of the Deuces this morning and packed some tools and camera and head out by myself not knowing a thing about a 5-ton except it was bigger. ;-)

I pulled in and Brian said the pickup was for 8AM (it was 8:34) so I said let's get her started. He had driven it to the parking spot and said it just needed jumped. I had brought two sets of heavy automotive jumper cables with me and we pulled the covers off and it started right up. We jumped it off one the many 915s sitting there.

The trucker got there at about 9:15 and I helped him get it on the truck and out the gate at about 10:30.

Here are the pics.

steve

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. The 915 would be a great toter of green iron.

They have about 10 or more going up for auction. They all run. Brian told me they drive everything into that section. If you can tell which section it is in you can tell right away if it runs or not.

Looked like they had a couple Deuces and 817s and an 818 coming up as well, all in the running section.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I knew they were coming up. Perhaps I should buy one, use it to tow my other M59 south and sell it off! Wonder what they have fer power?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never thought to ask but the three I heard running sounded nice. Let me know if you get one and I can bring it out to the farm for you if needed. I think they are automatics. I thought I had Brian say that when he started the one we used for the jump.

trooper632

I pm'edcall swbradley1, but I would like to publicly thank him for all his help with this recovery, I was not able to give him any info on the trucking co, or the driver or a time when the driver would be there, due to being called away (for work, no internet and limited cell service), But he showed up anyway. Truely a stand up guy and a invaluable SS member. i cant say enough, THANKS Donny