• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 and 813 frame ???

1qwkgoat

Ok I've been thinking of getting a 818, because around here they seem to be easier to come by and cheaper then a 813. I also would like the abilty to haul a 5th wheel trailer in the future if I can get one. If not i would rahter have a bed. I don't want a m35 I'd rather have a 5 ton with a cummins

So my question how similar is the frame of a 818 and 813 . I'm guessing the same basically,right?? So if this is the case later on down the road I could remove the 5th wheel and other assoc. stuff and put a bed from a deuce or 813 on correct? or is the frame much shorter, is the suspension shorter to the extent the bed would sit on top of the rear tires?

1qwkgoat

so a deuce bed would be close good thats. What I wanted to hear. I could also shorten a 813 bed if I needed. I wasn't expecting a to just drop the bed on and it fit perfect. I was hoping that with removal of all the fifth wheel stuff and the head ache rack. I could drill some holes and with a couple large bolts I could have a bed that would be sturdy enough to haul some 4 wheelers or a jet ski. Not planning on putting a large dirt load in it. I've got a 2.5 ton dunp truck for that stuff.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was thinking of making a box that could be mounted on my M818 by locking into the fifth wheel and tie it down to the frame with binders. Just a thought if I ever get a hold of an old bed. That is the good thing about having two trucks though I have the duece for the bed and the five ton to pull the M127

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes, I agree with the others, a deuce bed is the way to go on an 818.

BUT to add to the information.... You do not want to take an M813 and put a 5th wheel on it. The shorter 818's turn wide enough as it is, especially with a semitrailer... To make an 813 into a tractor will only compound your problems in town in traffic at intersections. Same goes with any of the older 5-tons. However, the M817 dump is the same chassis and wheelbase as the 818 tractor, and that's a natural conversion. Same goes for the M52 tractor and M51 dump.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nice truck Oilcan, thanks. Reminds me of the White/Corbitt 6-ton gun tractors from WW2.
Tim, I'll be looking for yours.
Cheers

houdel

Re: RE: 818 and 813 frame ???

M1075 said:
The M813 frame is longer. You could easily remove the bed and add the fifth wheel to an M813. No problems.
NOT a good idea, especially when considering the wheelbase issue mentioned below. It is much easier to make a cargo truck out of a tractor than the other way around. To convert a cargo truck to a tractor in addition to finding a fifth wheel and related parts, you also need to consider the braking systems.

A tractor braking system is much more complex than a cargo truck since the tractor has to have a system both independent of the trailer yet with total control of the trailer. You can't just slap a fifth wheel on a cargo frame, hook the semi trailer's brake lines up to the cargo truck's glad hands and go off trucking. Well you could, but you run the risk of sooner or later hurting yourself and/or some fellow travelers real bad.

The tractor's brake system includes a tractor protection valve to divorce the tractor's brakes from the trailer's brakes in case of an airline failure in the trailer, a trolley brake to control the trailer's brakes independently of the tractor, a Christmas tree to get air to the trailer, and a whole lot of air line modifications inside and outside of the cab. This topic was discussed at length fairly recently. I don't recall if it was in the 5 ton forum, the deuce forum, or the deuce mod forum, but a search should find it easily.

Stick with a deuce bed on the M818, a lot cheaper, simpler and easier on the wallet, knuckles and brain.

jeli

RE: Re: RE: 818 and 813 frame ???

You might be able to either drop a duece bed right over the 5th wheel or run some oak spacer boards to jack the bed up a bit. The only other thing would be to some how chain the 5th wheel so it wouldn't tip back and forth and bang into the bottom of the bed. You could relocate the tree that holds the air lines and pull the tool box and spare tire carrier.