• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 locker install

KsM715

Did you remove the fifth wheel and everything so you could pull them right out the top? If not, just thinking of moving those parts out from under there makes my hernia scar hurt.

jwaller

Did you remove the fifth wheel and everything so you could pull them right out the top? If not, just thinking of moving those parts out from under there makes my hernia scar hurt.
yes, I pulled the plate and decking. comes right out that way. there is no way to move this stuff by hand. my guess is the chunk weights at least 400lbs. The track bar must also be removed. more pics tomorrow.

jwaller

How many do you plan to install, just that one axle or..?
it's getting lockers in both rear axles. I have heard with proper driving it can be done without breaking stuff. I guess only time will tell. these two units were rebuilt in 1997 so they should be good to go.

gaskets are here and hopefully will drop at least one in this afternoon.

hklvette

Looking at the first picture, are the splines on the right axle-shaft twisted, or is it just the picture? If they are twisted, I'd look into a set of spares if I were you (assuming of course that you don't have any yet)

Last edited:

jwaller

Looking at the first picture, are the splines on the right axle-shaft twisted, or is it just the picture? If they are twisted, I'd look into a set of spares if I were you (assuming of course that you don't have any yet)
no twisted splines, must be the pic or the way it was taken. I do plan on finding a spare or two.

vinny-socom1

it's getting lockers in both rear axles. I have heard with proper driving it can be done without breaking stuff. I guess only time will tell. these two units were rebuilt in 1997 so they should be good to go.

gaskets are here and hopefully will drop at least one in this afternoon.

Is there another way to drive these trucks? what am I missing?

Vinny

jwaller

put about 100 miles on it this weekend. you can defiantly tell something is different.

I have a turn and incline when I pull into my yard and for the last 4 years the yard has been clean. pulled back into it saturday, I torn ruts in it. this is not good. :)

I also made the mistake of having to accelerate in a turn while getting out of the intersection at a light. the center tandem axle started to hop around the corner about halfway thru the turn. :)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there another way to drive these trucks? what am I missing?

Vinny
Whats' up Vinny. Try not to make U turns, Power to much in turns and just be ready to tear up your yard if you get on the soft stuff. When on the hard stuff and you do get hop just let off till it stops hopping then get back into it a bit to keep going. They are not made of glass so have fun and find some mud.:beer:

jwaller

Did you pick the right smilies, John, seem to contradict your statements..or did the good outweigh the bad experiences?:?
ya, I did. I enjoyed it but it's not a good thing. The experiance wasn't bad just a new one. I learned a little more on how to drive with them and I will try not to let it happen again. I will try to make my approach to the back yard a little more straight next time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks