• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 pintle hitch trailer????

ascars308

I have an 818 that I'm building into an overland rig and I want to find a pintle hitch trailer for the era of truck so it matches but I don't know much about the older trailers any help is much appreciated

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Did they make one with a 12 ft box like some of the lmtv trailers
M1061A1, m1095s have a 14ft bed but a higher rating being they are dual axle. M1082s are single axle

I have an AAR shop that is 12ft long that could go in the bed of one.

ascars308

M1061A1, m1095s have a 14ft bed but a higher rating being they are dual axle. M1082s are single axle

I have an AAR shop that is 12ft long that could go in the bed of one.
I tried to find a 1082 but I didn't have any luck. So I'm guessing they didn't make large trailers back then other than the semi trailers

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I tried to find a 1082 but I didn't have any luck. So I'm guessing they didn't make large trailers back then other than the semi trailers
The military when the 818 was around had the a few 20ft trailers that were made for containers. I forgot the number but they were heavy. Around 12k empty. Not something you want to use offroad.. much like the m322 load king marine Corp trailers. Great ground clearance but too heavy for a 5 ton with a small cam. Especially if you wanted to go down the road.

Other than the larger 20ft trailers they only had the small m105 series.

You could try the M796 and put a cargo bed on it but tire options are limited cause of the axle spacing

ascars308

The military when the 818 was around had the a few 20ft trailers that were made for containers. I forgot the number but they were heavy. Around 12k empty. Not something you want to use offroad.. much like the m322 load king marine Corp trailers. Great ground clearance but too heavy for a 5 ton with a small cam. Especially if you wanted to go down the road.

Other than the larger 20ft trailers they only had the small m105 series.

You could try the M796 and put a cargo bed on it but tire options are limited cause of the axle spacing
Thanks for the Intel

Superthermal

I have been looking at this same idea. I have a S-280 shelter now and am loving it. So much so that I am tinkering with the idea to get a M1082 or M1095 to keep a second one on. Some of the things I found that I liked was the M1082 was rated at 5000lbs offroad but weighs a bit over 6000 lbs empty.
The M1095 was dual axle and is rated at 10,000 lbs but weighs 9200 lbs empty.
The cargo size on the M1095 is a bit longer 168.8" over 148.8" on the M1082. A S-280 shelter is 147" so it would fit in either trailer.
Both work on air brakes that are compatible with the M809 series trucks and can run the same size tires you can run on your M809 although LMTV style wheels are not exactly the same as our Combat or HEMTT wheels, I have forgotten that detail. But I was thinking to get a M1095 and put 4 16.00R20 wheels on it giving me 12 total tires, 8 rolling and 2 spares. (I have 8 tires now and would be adding 4 with a trailer)
At near 6K/10k of weight and a serious amount of length either trailer a would not make our rigs very mountain trail compatible, so as it is, I am attempting to keep all my plans on just my M813 and if a nice trailer or another S-280 happen to come my way then all the better.
On another note I saw a M923 that had made a 5th wheel hitch off the back. When I asked about it the MV owner said it bolts right to the same pintal hitch location and swoops upward to the right height for the connection to sit on. Was a very interesting mod. He had made it a bolt on device so he could switch back and forth from pintal to 5th wheel if he wished. I tried to find the video where I saw it but had no luck. 1689125746857.png

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks