• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 power, tips and tricks?

Cowboy_Customs

Just a few questions for everybody. I have been doing some reading, and have seen mention of the PT pump, PTG pump, AFC, yadda yadda yadda....

Anyway, How do you identify these things, I think I have a handle on the AFC, I am assuming thats for a turbo cummins?

How do you turn up the power on an 818? What are some little tips and tricks? I do plan on a turbo install, maybe jakes in the future. What Cummins 250's if any had oil squirters?
The engine in mine is an 2/85 model year replacement with the CPL 0709, in a '70 Kaiser M818.

Also I know about Pittsburgh Power, and have read the articles, how much of those articles actually apply to our engines? Thanks for dealin with the Noob of the group, I'll try not to bother with toooo many questions! ;-)

BlueFab

I am in the middle of modifying my M818 w/ a turbo and pump upgrades. If you are not in too much of a rush to do yours, I will share everything I have found out along the way. A buddy of mine worked at Cummins when the motor was still in popular use and is now turning wrenches in the Army, so I am being taught the right tips and tricks, as well as, the do's and don'ts.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do no better than to get one of the guys who worked at Cummins to help you out. My Brother took his dodge pickup with the Cummins in it to a guy who worked at the Columbus plant on that engine and wrote some of the procedures for it. He knew exactly where the design was flawed and how to fix them. He boosted the power by about 70 horses just fixing the original screwups. My Brother was very pleased. (He decided not to have him crank it up to 5 or 600 hundred horsepower for fear of breaking everything else.)

steve

Cowboy_Customs

Sweet deal. I am certainly in no hurry, being as the engine is tore down from whatever happened! Taking my knowledge from 5.9 Cummins wrenching is going to be a huge help in the tuning on the big Cummins for sure. I am a diesel junkie, eat, sleep, and breath them! I know a few tricks I will be applying to the big Cummins for sure........ :twisted:

Steve thats a pretty sweet deal! I wish I had a Cummins factory tech/engineer that I was buddy buddy with around here. But I learn with my hands and eyes so I have to break or tear something down and modify myself to figure it out too. Plus, dont tell me it cant be done, because I will find a way to do it!! :twisted: lol

BlueFab

The most important tip I have gotten so far is making sure your heads have a plug in them. Most non-turbos do not have them. It should be threaded to install one in each head and MUST be done to run a turbo. If they are not plugged, it will pump all the oil out of your engine:!: PM me a telephone number and I will describe the procedure to check each head.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NHC250 has almost nothing in common with the 5.9. The injection system is completely different.

Only the newer high-hp 855cid engines had the oil squirters.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was told my my old logger buddy (that uses 818's for pullout trucks) that you would be better off to just upgrade to a 400 Cummins already equipped with Jakes.
The cost of all those upgrades are going to get you into the price range of a pullout 400 from a truck recycling yard.

tommygun

The quick and cheap way to gain more power is to change the "Button" in the pump . The button (dont know technical name ) changes the fuel pressure . I put 16.00 x20 tires on my M818 and realized it needed some help .So I removed the stock #45 button and installed a #25 . Good increase in power and now blows nice amount of black smoke (does not blot out sun but looks good )Try cummins dealer or diesel pump and injector shop for button. My nearest cummins parts dept. said they are no longer available due to age of these pumps . I was able to get one from a friend ,paid $10.00 . Takes about 20 minutes to install .You should run a pyrometer . If you can find them , the buttons come in even smaller numbers (25-00) Again this is the cheap way , the best way is to take off pump and have a shop turn it up .