• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

818 PTO shift problems

bigfootjr

Hey guys.
We had a bad tornado in my town and I'm trying to use my winch to help but my PTO is very difficult to shift. I Installed winch and PTO box off another truck onto my 818. I've heard about shims for spacing between the PTO and the transmission, there were no shims on the truck I removed it from so I didn't put any back on mine. Is there any trick to shifting these or is there something I can do? It dose not seem to be caused by the linkage. I can disconnect the linkage and still barely move the shift rail. But it will move to all positions after some work. It seems that working the clutch while im trying to shift it has no affect. I've checked all fluids greased and regreased everything I can get my hands on with no solution. It's getting very old having to get out and crawl under the truck to change gears
any help appreciated!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It needs to be properly shimmed.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have the part number for the two different size gaskets ( one thick one thin ) that are used to space out the PTO. I have had good luck with just running one thick and one thin.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Did you check free play of the pto drive gear when you installed the pto, there HAS TO BE a small amount. Another thought (I know 2 at onetime for me is pushing it), did the pto when on the old trans work smoothly???

5tonman1971

The shims are just standard 6 bolt pto shims you can get them at any parts store that deals with pto's I got mine at car quest. They are about .20 thick so grab 4 just incase. I used 2 for mine making it a total of .40 thousands of an inch not sure on the crushed thickness but anywhere between .40-.60 your in good shape.

oh by the way they may be called gaskets at your store but either way that's your shims they are the same thing.

bigfootjr

The PTO would shift on the truck I took it off of. I'm not sure about the free play on the drive gear. When I took it off the other truck everything looked nice and clean and would spin easily inside the case. I will start searching for the shims. Thanks

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gasket - shim for them I believe is. part # 35-p-9-1 is the .10 and the # 35-p-9-2 is the .20
To tight it will whine to loose it will clatter.

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the -34P2, pgs. 447-1 to 447-3: p/n 8327322. TM also refers to them as gaskets and only one is called for per the -34, pgs. 16-230 to 16-231. Parttaget.com listing puts the thickness between 0.084 inches minimum and 0.104 inches maximum. Just shy of 1/8" thick. I put one on my truck and I have no problem shifting through the PTO ranges.

.20 and .40 seem awful thick measurements. .02 and .04 sound more correct.

http://www.parttarget.com/5330-01-3...17.html/-3A0364EA-3429-462B-BC59-319B6D75B75A

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You realy can't count what the gasket-shim is but from what I rember your looking to get 14 to 16 thousands on the gear. So what ever amount of gaskets -shims to make it right.
Yea Bryan I have done more than one PTO and never seen 4 20's needed to shim. Also you have to make shure it is the gasket -shim not just a cover gasket.

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cover and PTO gaskets come back as the same p/n. They are item nos. 29 and 67 respectively on those -34P2 pages I listed. I got two of them in a transmission gasket kit I got on the Bay a while back. I checked and rechecked the p/n's before installation. They're pretty thick heavy duty gasket/shims.

As a note, the -34 does not spell out the required backlash.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
There is also a thin metal shim stock set and by the piece that can be had to set the clearance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks