• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PsycoBob

Started to load, then borked. :(
I had a moment of curiosity about any semi-local members I hadn't already met. I've bumped into more than one local at a show several states away, without ever hearing their name from anyone near me. Kinda redefines 'Small World' sometimes.

Danger Ranger

Yup, I had it all loaded, and time to pick out like one members point, then poof! it all disappeared and I got that. Happens every time.

bshupe

According to Google, it is likely to do with usage exceeding what they will provide for free or at the current level of payment to them. One of the admins will need to look into it although if the map and corresponding code is set up correctly there is an email to the owner/admin of this site already asking for money or whatever it is that Google wants for their free services these days. lol

PsycoBob

I though I saw a geek-news headline on google amending the TOS for the maps API recently, but didn't really pay much attention. Oddly enough, it got used by everyone because it was free & google's reasonably accurate. Guess they want people to move away from a product that integrates nicely with the rest of their toys. Doh! Microsoft and open-source mapping projects are going to see a boom, of sorts.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
According to Google, it is likely to do with usage exceeding what they will provide for free or at the current level of payment to them. One of the admins will need to look into it although if the map and corresponding code is set up correctly there is an email to the owner/admin of this site already asking for money or whatever it is that Google wants for their free services these days. lol
I looked into this last night. Google's automated response was, we'll fix it....

For the low price of $10,000 a year. :cookoo:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Don't be evil.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Don't be evil.
I'm not. Here's the email....

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for your interest in Google Maps API for Business! The Google Maps API is one of the most popular APIs on the web because of its ease of use for both developers and end users. The Google Maps API for Business offers high resolution imagery, 45 degree aerial imagery, Google Street View in 30 countries and international road data that powers geocoding and reverse geocoding. In order to create Google Maps based applications for asset tracking, internal business applications and applications that require a fee, a Google Maps API for Business license is required.

Product Offering

Google Maps API for Business pricing (per year-paid in full at signing) is in terms of page views. A Page View is a single load of the Google Maps JavaScript by the end user's browser.

FAQ
What is the difference between the standard Google Maps API and the Google Maps API for Business?

Both the standard and the Google Maps API for Business access the same data and the same user interface that has made Google Maps the most popular web mapping application in the world. However, the Google Maps API for Business offers additional geocoding, server side limits, and use cases that is not available in the standard Google Maps API.
* SLA (Service Level Agreement) at 99.9% up-time guarantee
* Control over ads
* Increased usage - 100K for each server-side geocodes per day, Directions web services and Elevation web services
* Larger Static Maps
* Enterprise level support via email and phone support for high severity issues
* Ability to use Google Maps with internal business applications, asset tracking and embedded within software that licensed for a fee.

How can I test out the Google Maps API for Business?

To trial Google Maps API for Business, sign up for a Google Maps API key at http://code.google.com/apis/maps/signup.html. The Google Maps API key trial is subject to a limit of 2,500 geocodes per day. You will need to purchase a Google Maps API for Business key for the higher geocode limits(100,000/day).
Is it possible license just the geocoding service or to license Google Maps for bulk geocoding?
At this time it is not possible to license the API solely for geocoding
purposes. However, it is possible to use the Google Maps API for Business to bulk upload addresses and geocode the address for the sole use on Google Maps implementations.

For external implementations, such as public facing store locators or portals, pricing starts at $10,000 for 1 million page views per year. We will be in contact to discuss any additional questions such as Google Maps API for Business benefits, features or licensing.

Thanks,

The Google Earth and Maps team

PsycoBob

Is there a "Google Maps for Nonprofit" option? We spend all our money on green iron, so we're nonprofit, right? :whistle:

Last edited:

bshupe

I looked into this last night. Google's automated response was, we'll fix it....

For the low price of $10,000 a year. :cookoo:

Thats kind of what I figured. With Google, everything is free until its popular. Lucky for you, there are lots of other user mapping utilities that work with PHP or whatever you're using.

Last edited:

onegmjack

We could all pitch end,but do we want to give them the satifaction?Do they think we are making a profit on this site,$10.000 a year would not be much,if we were making a milliom or two a year.Hope something comes our way,to solve the problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks