• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

831a - 24 volt vs 12 volt start solutions

Mac3715

I'm about to purchase an 831a. The 24 volt system is my concern. When i arrive at my camp after say a month or more and the battery has no charge what is the solution for jump start. The pull start is good for three seasons of warmer weather but in the winter i will need an electric start. I currently have a 12 volt gen set that i jump start with my truck. What solutions are available for 24 volt? Thank you for any suggestions.
---Mac---

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a 24V jump starter? What kind of batteries do you run? Might it be a safe bet to bring the batteries with you, so you can make sure they are fresh and charged for your trip?

Mac3715

I found answer on another thread. I should learn to use the search function prior to asking questions. So if i purchase two motorcycle batteries or purchase two tractor size batteries I can jump start the 24 volt gen set with my Yota according to the diagram below. This forum has all the answers. very cool.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, thats how the bigger gens are powered normally. Just make sure you wire them properly... don't need any silly accidents!

Kenny0

One thing that could help a lot is a good solar charger of the type that has a real charge controller.
Yes - that would be the way to go. Would not have to be very large solar panels. 2 10 watt panels hooked in series with a 24 volt regulator. mount panel where it would get sun for at least half the day, run wires to the generator. pretty much maintenance free. One of the worst things for any battery with lead is sitting with a partial charge in it. This is what I would do.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
12 to 24 volt dc-dc step up converters are available. You could make a jump start off your car battery. Quality ones are not cheap though.

Guyfang

Staff member
Chris,

i wanted to to say the same, since starting this thread. Simply pull start it. I don't have a lot of sxperance with this gen set, but do have a bit of experance with the engine. Nothing starts easyer then this engine in the winter. Simply pull start it, and let it charge itself. I personally would use gel batteries. My experance with them is nothing less then great. Since I put them in my motorcycles, I haven't had to buy a battery since. AND, when I can go out in spring, start my bike in an unheated garage, after months of below freezing weather, that tells me a lot about gel technology. I once started an 803, after it had stood over two years in a corner of a motor pool parking lot. It stared RIGHT up.

But it that's just my two cents. Every suggestion here is good and more then workable. Personally, I like the PV solution best.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
+1 on the GEL batteries. I use the Odyssey brand batteries. They are kinda expensive but last a LONG time. Their self discharge rate is very low.

Edit - The Odyssey batteries are not GEL but AGM. They are still fully sealed and last a LOT longer than flooded cell batteries.

Last edited:

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the batteries are fully charged, just disconnect the ground wire before your leave to stop any parasitic drain. If the batteries are in good condition, they should maintain their charge until you can return next month. If they can't hold a charge for a month, you need new batteries.

Mac3715

Charging flat-ass dead batteries is very hard on the regulator/rectifier not to mention the stator.
I'm trying to avoid the two dead battery scenario altogether. Whats the "no battery" solution. I know the pull start. But if electric start was needed. What electronic equipment would go between jumper cables from my Toyota to convert 12 to 24 to start this engine. hopefully not cost prohibitive.

Second thought cant i just purchase a 12 volt Jap starter that could be jumped from my truck (no battery needed). Maybe isolate the starter electronics from the gen set altogether. Its gunna be an emergency generator and used once twice every other year.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, you could disconnect and cap off the starter wiring from the control panel then install a 12v starter with its own start button. That would be pretty simple to do.

I've not seen a boost converter that would take 12v and boost it to 24v at the kind of amps that a starter will require.

Chainbreaker

OK, here's another idea. What about you bring a couple of fully charged lawn mower batteries hooked in series for 24V with you each time you visit? You could make a small wooden carry tote for easy transport along with some of those small jumper cables and if you need a jump you got one. Having two 12V batteries could be handy to have around the camp anyway as a charging station for other electronics...lights, cell phones, etc. When you go back you put your DIY booster pak on battery maintainers until next trip.