That's part of what made me suspicious. I have one of Kloppk's governor control modules - I tried swapping that in - and it still didn't fix the issue. Then I checked the output lugs - and I could not get the thing to output any power. At that point I started figuring there has to be something else wrong with this thing.That switch kills the governor to protect the engine.
The first clue I had was that the switch itself was seeping oil pretty good when the engine was running. I took it out - cleaned up the threads - very carefully put some pipe tape on the (didn't want any getting into the engine) - and then reinstalled it.Mine had the same symptoms. It started and ran fine and then all of a sudden didn't start up and run normally. If the switch goes out it will keep it at very low rpms.
Mine looked brand new also. Both of the MEP-831's I have went thru the reset - and had ~ 2 hours on the hour meter. The switch itself looked brand new (the label was nice and clean) - but it was seeping oil at a pretty good clip. In my case I think what was wrong was the switch itself was somehow fubar'ed inside and was leaking oil - and whatever was fubar'ed was also causing it to read incorrectly.Mine looked brand new. I bought a pair of 831s that were rebuilt and had 2 hours each on them. One worked perfect and the other worked for a couple times and then wouldn't work. Researching it there seemed to be a lot of trouble with them on these units. I bought an extra, but if that one goes out I will be looking at jumping the switch and discarding it.
We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!