• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 1008 build.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking radio truck. What tires are on there, they look extra wide in your picture. What are your plans for the 10-08?

linemech31

Thank you! The tires are goodyear mtr's in 285/75/16. They are heavily worn. As far as plans on what the final product will look like i am not 100% sure. Thinking of making it look a little more civilian like. I am going to start assessing it further after work today and ill post more pictures.

linemech31

I am nearly certain that i will do an engine swap to a v8 gas of some type. First thought was an ls swap but im really wanting to avoid the headache of computers. Nothing wrong with the 6.2 but i have 3 other diesels already. Mild 350 or 454 with a carb comes to mind.

Attachments

cucvrus

I am nearly certain that i will do an engine swap to a v8 gas of some type. First thought was an ls swap but im really wanting to avoid the headache of computers. Nothing wrong with the 6.2 but i have 3 other diesels already. Mild 350 or 454 with a carb comes to mind.
Doing that swap will devalue the vehicle. It has a very stout and well proven driveline and engine. No race car by any means but definitely a tried, true and reliable truck. I have been driving them hard for over 25 years in private use and completely stock. They have over worked and outlast other vehicles of the same vintage. Good Luck it is not my truck but it sure is getting hard to find a good CUCV that has not been hacked up and modified. From experience the stock ones hold the most value. I have chopped up many myself over the years and drove them into the ground. Many M1010's, M1009's, M1028's, M1008's and 1 M1031 have been slaughtered at my barn. Most were just hacked and had severe issues. The stock ones are in short supply. Take Care and Be Safe.

linemech31

I definitely cant argue that modifying the truck will devalue it significantly. Ill definitely chew on the motor swap idea longer. My first tasks are to go through it and make it roadworthy etc...

cucvrus

It is a very simple mechanical system on the stock CUCV. The engine has very few issues. If I were to want to make a reliable vehicle of it I would consider going over the engine. Heads and all gaskets, rebuilt injection and lift pump all seals. And having the transmission gone over at a competent shop is a plus. Good Luck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Best mod for that truck is the 4L80E transmission. I thought those tires looked big, I run the same size Goodyears on my CUCV.

linemech31

Dug into her a little today. Found power at the glowplugs. Ohm'd each one out and all 8 are open. The battery terminals need replaced and i also found 2 heavy gauge wires (see pictures) not connected to anything they go down below the firewall. Havent looked into what they belong to yet. Got 7 of the 8 glow plugs out. One has a buldged tip likely from starter fluid damit. Also found a portion of fuseable link partially burned. Havent chased that down either. I ordered new ac delco glow plugs. I think i will get all the other issues figured out prior to installing the new plugs to avoid cooking them if i have a secondary issue. Seems weird to have 8 bad glow plugs.

Attachments

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dug into her a little today. Found power at the glowplugs. Ohm'd each one out and all 8 are open. The battery terminals need replaced and i also found 2 heavy gauge wires (see pictures) not connected to anything they go down below the firewall. Havent looked into what they belong to yet. Got 7 of the 8 glow plugs out. One has a buldged tip likely from starter fluid damit. Also found a portion of fuseable link partially burned. Havent chased that down either. I ordered new ac delco glow plugs. I think i will get all the other issues figured out prior to installing the new plugs to avoid cooking them if i have a secondary issue. Seems weird to have 8 bad glow plugs.
Not uncommon for the glow plugs to fail in rapid succession. If one goes down the power will increase to the others and burn them out as well. Its known as "The cascade effect"

DmentdDan

Parts store sent the wrong plugs. Ill have to wait until tomorrow for the 13g plugs. Not really a big deal theres a lot of little things that need to be done. Started tidying up the battery cables etc.. found the feed to the starter nearly rubbed through. That would have been a nice surprise :rolleyes:
that looks like mice nibbles on the starter wire to me. I hate those little bastards

cucvrus

Parts store sent the wrong plugs. Ill have to wait until tomorrow for the 13g plugs. Not really a big deal theres a lot of little things that need to be done. Started tidying up the battery cables etc.. found the feed to the starter nearly rubbed through. That would have been a nice surprise :rolleyes:
Looks good. May I advise to go the extra and get a new set of cables made up or at least get the solder on crimped cable ends. The bolt on ones are not the best way to go and with the draw on the starter you will be making hot connections with the bolt on cable clamps. just some advice. Not my truck but trying to help out as much as I can from afar. Good choice on the 13 G glow plugs. I don't care what anyone else says. Been using them for over 25 years and little or no problems with them. Good Luck.

linemech31

I kind of went with what i had kicking around the shop which were gold plated marine terminals. I really didn't think a 160hp diesel would need more than that? But i am not opposed to getting something with more contact area to the cables. As far as the cable that looks like mice chewed it... the picture is deceptive. It actually chaffing on the bottom of the battery tray.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks