• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'84 AM Genral M35A2C tranny ???

Mechanos

What transmission would most likely be found in a 1984 AM General M35A2C? I looked on the spec sheet in another section and all it stated was a "common transmission - Spicer 3053A". Looking a the shift pattern, it looks very much like a Borg-Warner T-34, 35, or 36 (don't remember which ones of those are OD 5th and which one is direct 5th). Anyway, the trucks I'm more familiar with are older IH Loadstars & Cargostars and these trucks used the BW trannies that have that same shift pattern.

Are there any other trannies that easily swap in?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless somebody has been fooling around, your truck will have the 3053A trans. There are a few manufacurers but its the same transmission. Every so often a truck comes out of the gov't with a 3052 trans which is from a gasser. It has a different shift pattern and 5th gear direct. I've only encountered this twice. Did you get the truck from the gov't of a private owner?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM for the transmission is TM 9-2520-246-34 and covers the 3052 and 3053A. You shold be able to download it from the logsa site for gear ratios etc.