• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

84 M1009 tailgate issue

dhedden

Hey guys and gals. I've had my 1009 for 3 years now and every once in a while if i parked on uneven terrain my tailgate wouldn't close right. The right side latch would bang into the striker. I shimmed it out a bit and I was good to go.
Now, after a camping wheeling weekend. (just forest service roads) the dang thing has a gap on one side too far to shim out the striker. I got it closed finally with alot of shimming and only about 3 threads of bolt holding the striker.
Is there a way to adjust the tailgate itself? I can't find any obvious reason that the gap has grown wider and won't be back home for a couple weeks but I have anotheer camping trip planned for the day after i get home and want to fix the tailgate with a quickness so I can use my rig.
Thanks in advance.
Doug

ryan77

Sounds like your body is flexing!! Check your frame is it cracked or rusted out? Do your doors close proper has the gap changed on them?

dhedden

Doors are closing fine. I slid under it and did a quick frame check and didn't see anything obvious. It's not rusted being a southern vehicle other than the typical floor pan spots from the rubber matting before it came out. I'm finishing up the 16 ga. metal repairs on that. When i get back home I guess I'll check body mounts etc. but is sure looks like body flex and I can't figure out why. I had hoped to be able to move the tailgate and let it ride.

ryan77

Your rubber body mounts could be dry rotted out and the body holes are egg shaped now! If its flexing that much something is wrong!!!

dhedden

Looks like a small crack on one side. Ill try to pull it back and weld or bolt a triangulated brace to hold it true. This is inside near the base on the right side floor by the tailgate. Hard rock hit on the bottom of the bumper on that side.