• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

85 AM General m35a2 modifications

ArrizX

I am looking at trading for a deuce and its in rough shape

I cant find where to buy single wheels wide enough for a set of XMLs.

Also it has a cracked tail housing on the transmission and I cant find where to buy that either. Any help would be fantastic, thanks.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the 'tail housing' on the trans is only about 2 inches long. hard to imagine it is cracked, but in any case almost any mil truck place should have one. the truck does not look rough at all, just normal

ArrizX

Okay thanks here are the other pictures I got

Youre right its not the tail shaft, its on the transmission right behind the throw out bearing. Not sure what to do about that. Any ideas?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Youre right its not the tail shaft, its on the transmission right behind the throw out bearing. Not sure what to do about that. Any ideas?

That's the input bearing retainer.

At a minimum you'll need a new one and you'll have to pull the trans to replace it.

Also, carefully inspect the input shaft and main shaft, every trans I've had that had a broken retainer had internal damage from the shaft moving and/or bearing failure.

sandcobra164

Thread title is very misleading. No, you do not need custom rims to mount XL's, 831's or G177's in the 11R20 realm of tires. It is missing the bed, that happens but you can normally find one from someone who has bobbed a Deuce for pennies. If it is an 85 model, it could possibly be a "dual circuit" brakes truck which does increase the value but makes some brake parts hard to find. My 71' has a single circuit system, if you read around, you'll know the downside of that. I normally try to offer advice but I'm stuck in this thread. I'm not sure what you're asking. XML's are usually 395's and have been mounted on stock Deuce wheels many times. To adapt the proper rim, you would need to find some MRAP wheels and the appropriate adapters to make a 10 lug wheel mount to a 6 lug hub. PM M-35TOM you're transmission needs. If you haven't figured out through reading countless threads, "He's the Man" when it come to Deuce Tranmissions.

ArrizX

the 'tail housing' on the trans is only about 2 inches long. hard to imagine it is cracked, but in any case almost any mil truck place should have one. the truck does not look rough at all, just normal
I replied to this with pictures but its awaiting approval from a mod.

Thread title is very misleading. No, you do not need custom rims to mount XL's, 831's or G177's in the 11R20 realm of tires. It is missing the bed, that happens but you can normally find one from someone who has bobbed a Deuce for pennies. If it is an 85 model, it could possibly be a "dual circuit" brakes truck which does increase the value but makes some brake parts hard to find. My 71' has a single circuit system, if you read around, you'll know the downside of that. I normally try to offer advice but I'm stuck in this thread. I'm not sure what you're asking. XML's are usually 395's and have been mounted on stock Deuce wheels many times. To adapt the proper rim, you would need to find some MRAP wheels and the appropriate adapters to make a 10 lug wheel mount to a 6 lug hub. PM M-35TOM you're transmission needs. If you haven't figured out through reading countless threads, "He's the Man" when it come to Deuce Tranmissions.
That told me enough and sorry for the thread title, it is wrong.

All I want to do is single out the rears and put bigger tires on, probably XMLs so it can do 65/70 on the highway with my Jeep in the back. I will probably just flatbed it. The transmission is a crack behind the throw out bearing I was wrong in saying it was the tail shaft, too.

That a nice truck .
I posted more pictures just waiting on approval check back in later!

sandcobra164

I've checked back in sooner. You do realize these things are on the governor at 55 mph on the stock 9-20's. I'm on 11R20's and I'm limited to 63 mph. No worries there but I actually only run about 45 mph or so. There is a reason. The multifuel motor in these trucks was based on an old farm tractor engine, search White or Oliver in Google. Anyhow, I know many will tell you, "Run it on the governor, they were made to do it". If you search around here, you'll find a few folks who have opened "new windows" in there engine block. I'm only asking that you read and then decide for yourself. You'll also get some folks poo pooing on you're idea of running a Deuce 70 MPH down the road with a load in the back. I won't, I've towed 23,000 pounds with my truck on more than one occasion but at nowhere near that speed. I've turned the fuel up on mine, it's pulled some very heavy stuff but I've always erred on the side of caution. I can't tell you what to do with that truck but I will ask that you don't put yourself in danger.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks