• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

85 K5 Blazer / 6.2 DIESEL / m1009

JoeJoe_91

Just looking for some help, new owner of an
85 K5 Blazer / 6.2 DIESEL / M1009 CUCV
Cranks up, idles, but blows out white smoke nonstop from both sides of the dual exhaust. My cousin said it COULD be the injectors, but I’ve also read that it COULD be the timing. The previous owner also put a 6” Rough Country lift on it and 35s. The driveshaft seems to barely be in all the way from what I can see, who makes a longer one that I could order if possible?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

Barrman

White smoke. Dirty white that smells like diesel or puffy bleached white that might have a bit of antifreeze smell?

If I is the dirty oily white let the engine run for an extended bit of time. 45 minutes or more. After you have checked the cooling system and are sure you are not getting any combustion pressure to the radiator. 2 of my M1009 trucks sat for months or more and looked like the city mosquito fog truck when I finally fired them up. One cleared up after about 30 minutes of idling and has stayed clear for 10 years now. The other took about an hour of idle time before it was reduced enough that I felt ok driving in traffic. It took around 3 hours of driving to have perfectly clear exhaust. 9 years later that truck still puts out a puff from each pipe on cold start up every day.

Both trucks had injectors replaced and it made no change.

The bright white smoke could be a sign of bad head gaskets. Check your radiator cap for oily residue, watch for bubbles at the radiator when you fire it up cold. A coolant pressure test and a compression check on all 8 cylinders would also be recommended.

JoeJoe_91

I’d say dirty white, it definitely has a strong diesel smell. I just bought it, haven’t done anything to it except crank it. It has a rough idle for about 10-15 seconds, then it idles normal. I ran it for about 20 min yesterday and it smoked the whole time, I’ll let it run for longer today. I’ll check the head gaskets soon. When I got it home I checked the radiator for the heck of it, and go figure it was practically empty. I filled it with water. I’m gonna do the fuel filter conversion this weekend, just to help with starting. I paid $2,500 for it, so I basically paid for the 6” RC lift, rims and tires.

Barrman

When you start talking about the lift, driveshaft changes and such. ColoradoK5.com has a much more experienced member group for those things than many people here.

Russm

Is your high idle / cold advance kicking on when you start it? You'll need to depress the pedal slightly to get it to stay on.
Mine always smokes on cold mornings, but idles smooth one the cold advance is on.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

JoeJoe_91

Is your high idle / cold advance kicking on when you start it? You'll need to depress the pedal slightly to get it to stay on.
Mine always smokes on cold mornings, but idles smooth one the cold advance is on.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Not sure how to tell if it’s on or not, but I always depress the pedal halfway when cranking. It only idles rough for about 30 seconds, I give it a little throttle to keep it from stalling. I let it run/idle for 1 1/2 hours today, the white smoke didn’t go away. It will smoke a little less after it’s warmed up, but when I give it throttle it clouds up. I’m gonna get all new injectors in a month or so, see if that helps. I got everything to do the fuel filter conversion today, I’ll put that on tomorrow to help with starting.

JoeJoe_91

It's not an 85. It's an 84.

I didn’t know that, thanks for the heads up!!

JoeJoe_91

When you start talking about the lift, driveshaft changes and such. ColoradoK5.com has a much more experienced member group for those things than many people here.
Thank you, I found a place in Jacksonville, FL. I also have to find sway bar extensions, the bar was a couple of inches away from the frame.

Edmond bingham

My 84 cuc v runs great but hard to start I've replaced i p injectors all fuel lines new fuel tank electric fuel pump but still hard to start any help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks