• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

85' M1009 build thread

Looks like you found those seats in a little "Tuner" Civic or something.

Nice score.
A friend of mine builds, modifys, and mantains Range Rovers, and these were in one he's parting out. I have no clue where preivous owner got em... I seen some other seats like these on a different offroad forum i stay in contact with, and from what i can tell, these are Mastercraft seats, or a really good knock off of those.... I hoping these will ride better than the tahoe seats, i relocated to the back.... I simply just reused my tahoe seat tracks, and made these work using some 2" flat stock and drilled some holes for it to work... I than, switch bases, putting the passenger side on Driver, and vice versa, i did this so it would move seat closer to door... I now have enough room to place a 20mm ammo can along side my main console, for added storage...

Last edited:
update... Been busy with work, projects, issues, etc... havent been able to do much to her lately.... got a new phone... had finally got around to uploading some videos... so for your viewing pleasure....

having fun the whole weekend... this was a real steep incline, but hard to see..
http://youtu.be/qEA7sJ4BgAA

Over on a friends property, testin out his small trail he created...
http://youtu.be/TSZeo9BhRsE

Had a good day
http://youtu.be/rqnOtS0yL9s

until this happened
http://youtu.be/q0m4gc5Q-4Y

Playing around in little mud puddle
http://youtu.be/Crwn5zztvw8

Not much happening after 6 minutes... got further down creekbed and ended up winching out, due to a broken steering gearbox...
http://youtu.be/jd1ZJsyiMyA

whAT DID YOU DO TO CORRECT DRIVESHAFT ANGLE? I AM WORKING ON A SIMILAR BUILD.
I took the Factory Front Drive shaft, Found 2 more in junkyard, Had all 3 modified with a 8" splined slip yoke welded and balanced... Ordered a flange to fit the REAR of my 205. ( that matches the front ) and then, when I made my TC mount, I kept the factory angle in place... where there is approx. a 1" drop between the rear of transmission and rear of my TC. Keep in mind though, I have a doubler, so my TC setup is longer...

You get the rear discs worked out/ How about 6.5T and 4L80?
unfortunately no... been busy with job changes, little one's traveling gymnastic competitions, and family medical stuff. I haven't been able to spend hardly any time with Ole Beulah this year... She's came down with some charging issues, I believe it related to either a relay or leak regulator, as it will show charging when its 1st started, but after it warms up, GEN 1 light will come on, and it no longer charges... I haven't even had time to troubleshoot that. whatever the issue is, it will kill a full charged battery in a day, so I have to keep them disconnected when not in use....

M1009 Fiend

1ton,

Question for you, what fly wheel did you use for your SM465? Im wanting to convert mine soon and am starting to collect parts.

Second question, what parts did you use from ORD for your 4" lift? Im gonna be placing an order and not sure how I want to build my rear end, I currently have blocks and want a more flexy and smother ride.

Fiend

1ton,

Question for you, what fly wheel did you use for your SM465? Im wanting to convert mine soon and am starting to collect parts.

Second question, what parts did you use from ORD for your 4" lift? Im gonna be placing an order and not sure how I want to build my rear end, I currently have blocks and want a more flexy and smother ride.

Fiend
??? I don't have a 465... I have the original TM400 I'm in the process of gathering parts to install a 4L80... as far as parts go.. I went with the spring perch kit, and flip shakle kit from them... but I also swapped out all 4 Springs with rear 1/2ton truck springs... ( 52" ) google 52" spring swap on K-5's... That made it SUPER flexy.... hope that helps....

albersondh

How does it do on-road. Do you feel like the 52 1/2-ton springs limit on-road very much, body roll and such? You running 1-ton sways, 1009 sways, no sways, quick disco's, ect? How is the ride compared to stock? Have you thought about making a single triangulated traction bar to keep the wheel hop down? How about steering, you feel much dead spot from drag-link roll, is it still fairly responsive and tracks straight? Sorry for 20-questions your build is the best point of reference I have in terms of what I want to do.

M1009 Fiend

??? I don't have a 465... I have the original TM400 I'm in the process of gathering parts to install a 4L80... as far as parts go.. I went with the spring perch kit, and flip shakle kit from them... but I also swapped out all 4 Springs with rear 1/2ton truck springs... ( 52" ) google 52" spring swap on K-5's... That made it SUPER flexy.... hope that helps....
Oops' on the sm465, But thank you on the rest of the info. How hard was the shackle flip? What did you have to do? I love your suspension set up.

How does it do on-road. Do you feel like the 52 1/2-ton springs limit on-road very much, body roll and such? You running 1-ton sways, 1009 sways, no sways, quick disco's, ect? How is the ride compared to stock? Have you thought about making a single triangulated traction bar to keep the wheel hop down? How about steering, you feel much dead spot from drag-link roll, is it still fairly responsive and tracks straight? Sorry for 20-questions your build is the best point of reference I have in terms of what I want to do.
No worries on the 20 questions... it does pretty decent onroad... Im happy with it's manners.... it does have a touch more body roll, and old school road manners... but Iam used to it and don't let anyone else drive it. Now granted, with the current wheel size, and the gearing from 400, I don't run it fast... 45-55 MPH is about all I will push it, as to not hurt the motor. It will be different with the trans swap.... Now its NO Cadillac, but it serves its purpose well.. I currently have no swaybars, but plan to address that once I do the 4L80. I plan on using the "anti rock" sway bar kit found in many rock crawling jeeps, buggies, etc. they make universal ones, that I think I can make work.. A trackbar in the rear is also in the works, but it hasn't been a dire issue yet, the Steering is awesome btw, with my setup, it takes just a touch more effort than stock, but not enough to even notice or worry about. as far as tracking... it tracks pretty straight and true with no dead spots.... and I have no fear or un easy feelings running down the highway.. the Hydro Assited ram set up, and axle shim under leaf spring ( to adjust camber ) helped eliminate the " death wobble" it had.

Oops' on the sm465, But thank you on the rest of the info. How hard was the shackle flip? What did you have to do? I love your suspension set up.
it was easy.... I recentered axles to wheel wells.. and measured and squared up where the replacement spring perches sat. ( starting at the front perch of rear axle,) This was the most critical part, as if you wind up being off, it will never track or drive straight.. make several measurents using different points... hub to rear, hub to front, both sides.. hub to hub, etc.. until its dead on... clamp the new hanger, mark and drill, or weld, etc... I would do the front hangers on each side, and lower/raise truck and let it touch/rest on rear of rear Springs, to give you an idea where the rear hangers will sit.. Pretty easy to do... just time consuming...

Asmoday

I have a question on the Zombie Aircraft lights..:) Did you ever determine what the amp draw was on each light? What relays did you run? I would like to wire mine up as I picked up a pair as well and would like to figure out what amp rated fuse to run for either each light or the pair as well as what amp rating relay(s)...

Thanks!

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't understand why the truck did not climb that staircase : locked both ends + doubler. Looks like tires aired down ok....should have worked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks