• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

850 mile - Mobile, Alabama to Ft Wayne, Indiana

fordgasmz

Trying to weigh out how much help/technical know how there is between Alabama and Indiana. The guy I bought my deuce and m105 trailer from decided that he won't ship the truck now so I'm considering driving it up to Indiana myself. Thinking on just staying on I65 the whole way. Do we have any members along this route that are notable in case problems arise with the recovery? The previous owner swears up and down its in perfect running order and will drive anywhere with no problems. I will only have minimum tools on hand and this will be my first experience with the whole MV drive. Any knowledge or suggestion feel free to pm me or post up. Thanks!

Dylan

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are several threads on what to take on a deuce recovery......extra fuel filters being high on the list.

If you are driving down to get it and have someone to follow you back that is plus in that you are not on the side of the road by yourself if you have a problem.

If you have a puter or a way to get on the net from the road that is a plus also....you can put out an SOS on here if something happens.

I know we have members in Mobile, Birmingham, Huntsville, Nashville and other cities on your route.

Maybe some will chime in and give you contact info before you leave.

Hooty481

Hey I am about 90 miles from I65 at bowlingreen Kentucky. I live in Russell Co on lake Cumberland. If you need any help I can try to be of service. If you do break down I could give you a pull with the 818 if we couldnt get you back on te road. When you do make the trip I will pm you my number. Good luck with the trip. I just recently made a trip from Hattiesburg mississippi to recover my 818. I drove 65 the whole way back.

fordgasmz

Well, I'm leaning towards this week...possibly even rolling down that way tomorrow. I have read all the recovery threads I've searched and it always seems something "new" breaks in every one! The truck I bought has all the filters tossed in as extra from fuel to air in a crate. And Bliss...your must have list makes me REAL NERVOUS...as of I'm not apprehensive enough!! According to the owner he's stayed in top of everything and its good to go!! We'll see about that. Thanks for letting me know who's able to help and I'll let you know via pm and a post when I'm heading!!

Sirblissfull

That is a list I downloaded from this site a few years ago.

It is far better to be over prepared than under prepared.

As alot of people here can attest, just because someone says its running and ready to roll doesn't mean it is. Members here have shown up to pick up vehicles only to find out the pictures were not even of the exact vehicle being sold. Bait and switch is an extreme version of the nightmares that have happened on a recovery but I am sure you understand the risks.

dmetalmiki

Keep us posted

And good luck with your aquisition. Steady is the watchword. just be patient . Get the feel of the engine ( and the rest of the truck )over distance. say 2000 rpms, then when all settled down, break the back of the journey with a steady 2250 rpms constant. After all there will only be a difference of 4 hours or so.. from flat out! and making sure to arrive with no fuss. (and a lot less fuel consumed.) let us know how you get on. with pictures?

fordgasmz

Show us some pictures of your truck. It will let us know what you are up against a little more.
It's towman2277 truck. He's got a handful of pics on here..I'm restricted to using my cell phone right now so I can't attach pics. He's basically bobbed it, routed the exhaust underneath, moved the batteries and fuel tank to the bed and just replaced the brake cylinders. Unless someone that knows the truck can chime in I'm just going off what he claims...

123mack

A heavily modified truck that you haven't inspected seems very iffy to me. I'm not commenting on the sellers work, but a truck that wasn't looked over by someone I know, I would hire a trucker to ship it.

fordgasmz

A heavily modified truck that you haven't inspected seems very iffy to me. I'm not commenting on the sellers work, but a truck that wasn't looked over by someone I know, I would hire a trucker to ship it.
Well, as it turned out mack, I was kinda feeling the same way. I didn't have anyone down that way I knew that would be able to give me even a 75% roadworthy thumbs up, so I decided to ship. It sucks I didn't get to do the adventure part of it though but at least it'll be safer in the long run. I'm sure since the seller had hosed me to begin with, I'll be better off inspecting it myself and then getting it on the road feeling things are actually safe. Thanks for the assistance offers all and I'm sure the customization pictures will be coming soon!!