• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

855 Liner problems

Cinman37

My new to me m925 with 12000 plus miles on it started injesting large amounts of water into the oil, 5.5 gallons in 10 miles to be precise. Lowboy'd the truck to a local garage where they opened it up and found the #1 liner had broken off and at the piston in the process. Not sure if anyone else on here has had similar problems? I did get the truck up to 220 degrees once after a block heAter installation but I am not sure if it happened then or if the truck had the problem when I purchased it?
If anyone has had experience with this type of catastrophic failure and what causes this please share...
Thanks

Cinman37

Thanks, I am going down after work to see how bad mine is, they were checking the main bearings to make sure they did not suffer any damage, the guy at the garage said he may be able to put to new liners and pistons in and I would be ready to run, I hope this is the case...

Nonotagain

Good luck with doing an in frame rebuild.

The older Cummins 250 engines used a heavier piston than late model versions. Unless you find someone that has the older parts, you'll have to replace all 6 liners and pistons.

seano11

It's only a liner lassy wouldn't call it a catastrophic failure kinda a everyday thing with diesels. Put a new liner and piston in it and keep going. Or get a inframe done

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I had an old school Cummins mechanic tell me that sitting for long periods of time without being started is death on a Cummins engine. Something about developing a rust spot in a certain place and then having the piston run over it. Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

Cinman37

Just got back from the garage, there are a bunch of sver dollar size bits of liner in the oil pan they were in the process of pulling the head off over cylinder#1, hopefully the block is not cracker or broken. I may know more more tomorrow.

Kingpepsi

I dont know if you saw the pictures of mine but sounds basically the same. Mine puked a liner, destroyed a piston, and filled the crank case with water. I havent gotten the pan down yet but i did pull the head. Mine pushed two valves right through the seats and also bent the con rod. I have a new rod, new liner and piston, all new gaskets, and hopefully some heads on the way. So far I have spent less than 500 bux on all those parts. I do have a motor coming so even if i cant save this one i will have a backup. I will be tearing into it again in the next week or so and I will update over on my thread. So far all i can figure is either an injector failed and overfueled that cyl or it was just a fluke and the liner came apart.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I had the same thing happen a couple of times.The engine I have is still for sale,I have a video of the engine running.Its still in the truck.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My liner let go on the way to the 2011 GA Rally. One other one had severe wear on it, and would have let go soon. Engine had about 12K on it too, and came with 3 ring pistons. Got a set of 4-ring pistons and liners from Clark....so far so good.

ca1517

I have some fresh depot rebuilt NHC 250 engines, if it is a catastrophic failure, let me know, and I can send pictures, and pricing via e-mail

Cinman37

Thanks for the responses, I did see yours kingpepsi, hopefully the do not find too much wrong in there, I will be stopping tomorrow after work to see the innards. I think it let go less than a 1/4 mile from my house but can not be positive about that. I am kind of stuck, I do not have the tools or the knowledge to do the repairs myself so I hope the garage will work with me on finding the best value for my money when it comes to replacement parts. Time will tell. How do you know if a leaking or malfunctioning injector is or was the culprit?

Kingpepsi

Thanks for the responses, I did see yours kingpepsi, hopefully the do not find too much wrong in there, I will be stopping tomorrow after work to see the innards. I think it let go less than a 1/4 mile from my house but can not be positive about that. I am kind of stuck, I do not have the tools or the knowledge to do the repairs myself so I hope the garage will work with me on finding the best value for my money when it comes to replacement parts. Time will tell. How do you know if a leaking or malfunctioning injector is or was the culprit?
Can't really know for sure once the grenade goes off. If it was a failing or failed injector there would have been a pretty noticeable miss or excessive exhaust smoke or even fuel diluted crank case oil. But once it goes boom its anyone guess. In the past I have used an infrared temp gun to measure the temp of each exhaust runner. Most of the time the hotter or colder of the lot is the issue. Hotter if overfueling, cooler if under. Or in the case of a stuck open injector no combustion at all.

Cinman37

Well, they pulled the head, the bottom of the liner broke off somehow the top of the liner, piston and head were unscathed. Which is great news for me, just needs two liners, pistons, oil pan gasket and head gasket which have already been procured from a company in Louisianna for 350 something plus shipping. Puts my mind at ease knowing I will have it back on the road soon. The mechanic working on the truck said he has seen this type of damage before and said the engine was probably run past the redline.

Cinman37

I picked up my truck last night everything went well motor sounded great. The liner had broken below where the piston would even contact it? Ended up spending 360.00 for two liners 2 piston kits a head gasket, oil pan gaskets and some other ones. 1000 for labor and two new batteries and 286.00 at napa for filters oil and coolant.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks