• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

855 Water Filter

DocPA

Anybody installed a water treatment/filter on their 923 with an 855 ? There's a u-tube video with an install and the guy plumbed it in the with T's to the heater feed and return lines. Seems just tapping in somewhere else would be easier or just putting it inline in either the feed or return filter line. Am I wrong here?

74M35A2

Yes, search "coolant filter install".

The coolant filter has a very low flow rate. If you install it inline (in series) with the heater core, you will likely greatly reduce the heater ability. Because of this, some run the filter only in the summer. You could run it parallel with the heater core, but then it will only be catching a small amount of coolant, and still reducing the heat ability by a very small amount, which is still better than nothing. I don't believe there is a "perfect" solution to putting one in, due to this.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All that needs to be done is plumb from either suction or pressurized coolant flow, (to the inlet of the w/p or to someplace below the head/block joint) to a place somewhere above the deck ( head/block joint).

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can check my thread "major zippidy" but it was an easy install in the heater lines. I will admit that I have not used the heater ever so don't know about the flow for it but I don't see how that would make a difference as the same heated water would flow with the valves open through both locations.

I do know the filter works as I have cut one up and see the gunk it has captured. Pics also on my build.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQGpPsFlMS4

What would be a better solution? Would running a water filter on the return side be better?
I like the mounting bolt and location. Looks like an easy install. Only thing I can suggest is that your heater has to be always on with circulation in order to get water to the filter. I have mine plumbed so the heater can be shut off but the filter always has flow. I do have separate shut offs for the filter if needed also. Now down here I rarely run the heater and I suspect you have way more opportunity to use yours. :)

lindsey97

All that needs to be done is plumb from either suction or pressurized coolant flow, (to the inlet of the w/p or to someplace below the head/block joint) to a place somewhere above the deck ( head/block joint).
Please elaborate with pics or where one would install fittings on the nhc250. I have a couple of these to do.

OC455

Or, do as I did and purchase a truck in Atlanta that has a fuel fired heater in it... ;)
I'd like to eventually get one in the near future, but getting the truck running right is a priority first. Doing little upgrades such as spin on filters and such are a plus while fixing everything first. And not hard to do. Best way to get something like this done, with good results and not have a failure along the way. Youtube video shows a nice setup, just want to pick everyone else's brains as to what could be done better or to improve filtration. I'm still learning a lot, and would refer to the experts...

Vintage iron

I put them on all my customer's trucks. I alway flush the system first, but I change the filter at the next service. You can feel the extra weight in the dirty coolant filter, even after it is drained.

CGarbee

I'd like to eventually get one in the near future, but getting the truck running right is a priority first. Doing little upgrades such as spin on filters and such are a plus while fixing everything first. And not hard to do. Best way to get something like this done, with good results and not have a failure along the way. Youtube video shows a nice setup, just want to pick everyone else's brains as to what could be done better or to improve filtration. I'm still learning a lot, and would refer to the experts...
I hear you...
You've got a good plan and it's similar to what I have done with my vehicles over time.

The joke is that the M931 that I purchased out of Atlanta had a hard top, block heater, swingfire heater, and a fuel fired personnel heater...and was shipped from the National Guard facility two blocks from my office in Raleigh, NC to Ft.Bragg to Ft. Gordon, then to the Atlanta Truck Center...then sold. I flew down and drove it home. I drove it to the office the next day. One of my coworkers walked out to look at it and realized that I had purchased "his" truck... It was the only truck in that lot so equipped... :)

OC455

I hear you...
You've got a good plan and it's similar to what I have done with my vehicles over time.

The joke is that the M931 that I purchased out of Atlanta had a hard top, block heater, swingfire heater, and a fuel fired personnel heater...and was shipped from the National Guard facility two blocks from my office in Raleigh, NC to Ft.Bragg to Ft. Gordon, then to the Atlanta Truck Center...then sold. I flew down and drove it home. I drove it to the office the next day. One of my coworkers walked out to look at it and realized that I had purchased "his" truck... It was the only truck in that lot so equipped... :)

LOL...that's great! You lucked out with the extra heating options! There is a block heater installed and the coolant heater, haven't been able to determine whether or not it is in good shape or not. Going to be flushing it and checking it after pulling the radiator and having it pressure checked and cleaned. My truck was used at a landfill and it is gunked up and trashed pretty good. There's still an unknown substance plugging the top of the radiator. I've hit it once with a pressure washer quick to get a lot of the heavy crap off of it. I have a gallon of Purple Power to get more off.

Way off topic....and total thread hijack.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please elaborate with pics or where one would install fittings on the nhc250. I have a couple of these to do.
Sorry, I don't own one, so no pics available. Everything BELOW the head/block joint is block pressure. Above that joint is only regulated flow, regulated by the holes in the head gasket. So, in order to make flow through the filter, you need to plumb from a pressure source....anywhere below the head/block joint and behind the w/p...to a low pressure area...above the previous mentioned joint, OR to the suction side of the w/p....anywhere from the outlet of the radiator to the inlet of the w/p, that area has only about 2psi in it during stat open operation.

If I had pics or even a manual that I could scan and post the pic, I would. Sorry :|

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks