• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'86 CUCV 1009 -Left rear upper bracket - shock

nyoffroad

I remember repairing two shock mounts years ago when I did body work, a FNG at a local muffler shop got happy with a cutting torch. Instead of cutting the bolt head off he cut the mount. I used a piece of steel about 2"x3" and about 3/16" , I drilled the 1/2"hole in it and used the mounting bolt to center it and then welded it to the remains of the mount. Easy peasy and done in about 20min. per side.

cucvrus

I remember repairing two shock mounts years ago when I did body work, a FNG at a local muffler shop got happy with a cutting torch. Instead of cutting the bolt head off he cut the mount. I used a piece of steel about 2"x3" and about 3/16" , I drilled the 1/2"hole in it and used the mounting bolt to center it and then welded it to the remains of the mount. Easy peasy and done in about 20min. per side.
Yes you are right. that is all that piece is. Nothing special about that. You can make that thing in 15 minutes from a piece of angle. With that being said can you make one or do you want me to make you one. The hardest part will be getting yours off. Or NOT just welding a piece to it. Nothing special unless your welding skills are poor. I see lots of poor welds on others repairs as I look at things all the time. Maybe its for patina.

biped

Welding the broken piece back on has been discussed. The weld would be mainly to the frame as this would be a short cut to dropping the tank. We'd just remove the wheel. The entire bracket is kinda horseshoe shaped with the back of the shoe having a hi ridge for the hole the shock bolt goes thru. Since we can't get on top I figured the weld wouldn't hold good enough. That said, this truck doesn't do hard off-road anymore so it's a judgement call. C- fix would work and I'd still consider it as it would be a 30 minute job for one person versus a 4 hour job for two.

Biped

cucvrus

I am open for your decision. After I seen it I could fab one very quickly. The hardest part is you getting the old one off. You can bolt it in place. No welder needed. Many options here. It is just that a bracket and once in place will out live the truck. Let me work on this over the weekend. I will post pictures. I am intrigued by the challenge.

nyoffroad

LET ME CLARIFY!! I am not a fan of welding on frames or welding brackets ectra to a frame. I've shortened and lengthened light and heavy truck frames but I also went to school for that. The shock brackets I mentioned welding had been cut off between the frame and shock bolt so was an easy repair and almost no heat transfer to the frame. If you can do that it's an option, if not I get the correct bracket from cucvrus and buy some good new drill bits and bolt it up.

biped

Cucvrus. The expired Texas truck plates will be heading your way tomorrow. No big deal. I'm thinking today to get my welder to take a look and give me his opinion. One corner can be welded to the old bracket and the longer piece welded to frame. More on this after he takes a look.

Biped

cucvrus

It is nothing but a piece of 2 X 2 angle with a little grind and set back. That can be duplicated with a piece of flat bar welded to the original angle. I see no safe easy way to replace this bracket with the body on frame. The fuel tank will need removed and a torcher that is skilled to burn the 3 rivets out. I see no working room in there. My part is easy. I just cut the frame section with the bracket and mail it to you. I am done. but I don't like that thought. That needs to be repaired in place with flat bar and a hole drilled thru it. This is easy repair of a major surgery. I would even go as far as welding the stud that comes with the new shocks onto the existing bracket and calling it fixed. You can still put the nut on it and tighten it after the stud is welded fast. Let me know what you want to do now. I would opt to weld the stud to the cracked bracket it will last for years. Welded properly by a welder not an amateur that sparks metal with electric. Many of them out there.

biped

My welder took every bit of 40 seconds with part in hand, "I can do it, it won't be perfect but I can do it." I had not thought of welding stud to bracket before welding to frame. I don't see why that can't be done. Looks like this will b the road I'm going down. Thanks. Tags coming to your door.

Biped